8 days post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robocop

Hi I'm Chuck from Niagara Falls, NY. Monday 2/25/2009 I had replacement mitral valve, aortic valve and bicuspid, lots of bleeding and back to surgery later the same day. Two days later while going to shower I went into atrial fib. and back to ICU. Converted with medication and now am back in the step down unit at Strong Memorial Hospital Rochester, NY I am on day 8 due to low INR has this happened to anyone else? They say I may go home tomorrow if it is 2 or higher otherwise I will receive argatroban IV and won't be able to go home. I am getting frustrated and a little depressed I guess. Hope to hear from you all as you seem very supportive of one another.

Hi Chuck,

Good to hear from you and sorry for what you had gone through.

I stayed ten days at hospital due to my stubborn INR...my surgeon was conservative and wanted to elevate it slowly. Even though I was anxious to leave, I did not mind staying as having nurses and doctors around me made me feel safe somehow than being home and worrying about any strange feeling I would have. I had AVR and MVR.

It is normal to feel depressed after such a surgery in general, and in your case, it is more expected to feel so especially that you had that bleeding which would worry anynoe! Look forward that from now on, you shall start feeling better and this will be behind you.

Prayers and best wishes :)

Congrats on making it to this side of the mountain. A lot of people on here have been in your same situation. I know you are anxious to get home, but take advantage of having people there looking after you, you'll be out before you know it. You will get a little stronger every day.

Kim

Hello and welcome!
My stay was 16 days due to slow INR and fast HR causing SVT (tachycardia).
Do you know what med they have given you for the A-fib?
If it is Amiodarone, your INR will be affected.
Other BP meds are fine.
P.S. don't risk a fall in the shower, take care.

I would be bummed about complications too, hard enough just to get through the waiting time before surgery. Hang in there and let the Drs. and nurses get you fixed up so you are ready to go home. Once you get home take it easy and let your body heal.

Welcome! Strong is a good hospital with an excellent record, so I am sure you are in good hands. Take your time getting back to the falls. I previously lived in Amherst (Williamsville) before moving here...I miss the walks around the American falls....

Hey Chuck,
I too had a bleeding event when they removed my pacer wires and had to go back to ICU and got 2 units of blood. That kept me there for several extra days. I also went in and out of A-fib several times until I finally went out of it for good, but from what I've read A-fib can happen after surgery. Thankfully for most people it calms down eventually. Hang in there, it will get better. I found the best way to get kicked out of the step down unit is to raid the refrigerator where they keep the ice-cream during your walks. Eventually the nurses will encourage the Drs to let you leave so that you don't eat all their stash.

Take care,
John

Hey Chuck, I'm waiting on my surgery but wanted to let you know I'm praying for you and that you will be home soon!!!

Hi Chuck and welcome to your new lease on life.

Are they making you drink Ensure, Boost or Carnation instant breakfasts? If so, that's most likely why your INR isn't rising. Those things are loaded with Vitamin K which counteracts Warfarin. The sad fact of life is, most of the professionals don't know how to dose Coumadin properly. I'm sure you'll have problems and when you do, come down to the anticoagulation forum and we'll help you get straightened around. As your activity level increases and more blood is filtered through the liver, your INR will drop, requiring an added dose adjustment. Be sure to eat like you always have. Don't let them tell you to limit your greens and such. If you normally eat alot of them, continue to do so and let the dose be adjusted for your diet. ;)

Hi Chuck,
Sorry to hear what you been through but now your on the up, I had AVR and Mitral repair 4 months ago, It was INR that kept me in hospital longer, till like you it went up to 2, It will get there promise, i was like you wanting to go home, but your in the best place.
Hope your home soon,
Take Care Jane

Welcome, sorry about your troubles, hope they can sort your INR. I remember being told we could go home and then having to stay in the hospital another day it sucks but its the best place to be if things are not right. All the best and hope you get home real soon.

I Chuck and welcome to the zoo:D ... Everyone is different and everyone has a different story .... some sail through and some have issues to deal with but it sounds like you are on the right road ... hope you are home soon!

Hey Chuck,
Had my Mitral replaced in November, and had thesimilar problems. My heart rate went from normal 60's to 150's then to 0 for 8 seconds. Had a pacemaker put in and spent 14 lovely days in Baltimore overlooking the finest Housing projects in the state. They finally sent me home with an INR of 1.2. But...... my wife had to give me Lovenox injections twice a day.I was depressed like you wouldn't believe. Hang in there and trust me the hard part is over. Be kind to yuor nurses like my wife told me "what did they do to deserve you", They can be your greatest allies. And eat the jello it's probably the best thing on the plate and you can trust it like an old freind.

yea i am finally home with a inr of 2.6 and an iv bag every six hours loaded with antibotics for endocarditis. it appears i got an infection from dental work done in sept 2008. i am on the road to recovery and i thank everyone for the kind responses they really lifted me up. to correct a few things from my first post i had an avr and mvr replacements with mechanicals. dont know the sizes and all the specifics yet but will soon. oh by the way when do you finally learn to live with the clicking noise i can hear and feel. again thanks for the responses.

Back