6 weeks post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pat45750

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
With so many people with problems, I almost don't want to report. I do think it is important to tell your story, even if it is going rather well, to help new people realize there is a whole spectrum of recoveries.

6 weeks has made a big difference. 5 weeks made me feel more normal, let me drive, but I was still very fatigued. I still get very tired, but can walk the grocery store and even Penny's now. Wow, I got to shop today. I could not have done that 1 or 2 weeks ago. I didn't have to sit down, but still move a bit slow and still have a small amount of dizzyness now and then. I actually walked up my hill, slowly, to get my mail yesterday. The last time I did that pre-surgery, I was out of breath and stopped often. I guess the new valve is working. I have been told it looked great after my last echogram.

I stop the last of my amioderone in 2 weeks and start PT. Hopefully, stopping the meds won't bring on a-fib again. I don't have the pounding heart beat any longer. I guess the meds are doing their job and my heart is getting back to normal.

It has been a long trip and I know it is not over yet. I ended up with 1/2 a cold and sore throat, but it is getting better. Life is getting better. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

I feel it is important for new people to read all the stories. I am very sorry for the people currently experincing very difficult problems. I keep them in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully, they will see the light at the end of the tunnel soon.

Pat

Thanks for your update. True. People need to read the up and down stories of open heart surgery. Some ppl have it bump free recovery some are struggling to survive.

Congrats on your progress! I came off the Amiodarone after 4 weeks and so far I've had no problems. Just an occasional PVC which I've been told is normal for me.
I also have some good news to share. I'm 11 weeks post op and I've been doing everything I did before the surgery and more the last 2 weeks. I start Cardiac Rehab today and I was able to walk @ 3 mph pace which I haven't done in 5 years. I exercised 50 minutes in my target heart rate and surprised myself. I really felt like I'm making progress now.
You're right, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for the update on your progress, Pat. I am so glad that things are moving forward for you, slowly but surely. Yes, it is important for people to read all of the different experiences of recovery.

Thanks for sharing
congrats.gif

Glad your doing so much better.Everyone is different and healing comes at its own pace.

Glad to read that things are coming together for you. I was on amiodarone for a month and then the doc had me quit cold turkey. No problems - hopefully you'll be the same. Keep up the good recovery!

thanks Pat, so happy to hear you are doing good. It is important to share your experience with everyone for it gives some reassurance that not all recoveries are complicated.... keep up the great work... glad you are feeling good! :) Hugs

Latest posts

Back