6 Week Checkup

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJM

I just got home from my 6 week checkup with my cardiologist.
He says my valve sounds great he can actually hear both my valves (bovine & mechanical).
Since coming to the page i have been doing a lot of reading, and i was getting so scared about the tissue valve & how long tissue valves last.
I asked my Dr today and he said there is very little study done on tissue valves in the pulmonary valve area.
Is there anyone in here who has had the pulmonary valve replaced with a bovine valve & how many years has it been ???

Thanks a bunch ~ Laura

P.S. I really wish i knew about this site back in 06 when i had my last OHS

There aren't a whole lot of people on here who have had their pulmonary valve replaced. I think there have a been a few that have posted before, and I think their tissue valves in that position tend to last a very long time. You might want to check out the adult congenital heart association web site (achaheart.org) if you haven't already. It is solely for people like us, with adult congenital heart conditions and you will find many more people one there with experiences like you are talking about. I'm sure you also know about the melody valve which is now being used for the pulmonary position which could eliminate another heart surgery next time you need that valve replaced.

Kim

Pulmonary valves are almost always tissue, IF your surgeon said there aren't many studies on them it is probably because relatively few people need pulmonary valves replaced. But they do tend to last much longer on the right side. have you ever checked out the adults with CHD forums?

Last edited:
I have not checked elsewhere but i will now.
I do not want another OHS. 4 is just plenty that's why i was wondering about how long they last there.
My Dr told me today to not worry about it, but i am one of those people who worry about everything.
and my mind will not settle till i know the answer. So i will check the other places.

Latest posts

Back