6 month post op check up with surgeon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barb

I am scheduled to see Dr. Svensson on Feb. 2. Prior to seeing him, I am scheduled for a chest ct and an mri of the brain. Are these the post op tests that are typical for a 6 month check up? I guess I was surprised that they didn't want an echo or mri of the heart to see the new valve in action.

Something seems wrong with this scenario, doesn't it?
I never had a 6 month checkup. I had a 6 week checkup post-op with my surgeon. I was not even called back in for a 1 year checkup. I just see the cardiologist sometimes. Even though some (including people on this list, lol) think I need my head examined, I was never told to get a brain scan!

Mistakes are made! Maybe they meant some other sort of scan--not brain. You probably should check this out ASAP, before you have some unnececessary, potentially dangerous tests done.

Yes, does seem strange. I had a 1 month echo and stress ECG by the cardiologist to check the valve. He then said to come back 6 months later (10 Feb 10) for the same tests. Then we will decide what the intervals should be thereafter.

I agree, sounds strange. I read alot around here about 30 day checkups, 90 check ups,
echos at various times....and etc. When I left Mayo I was scheduled with a 3 week checkup with my cardiologist up where I live. He looked at my chest, said it looked good, asked me how I was feeling, shock my hand and said "see ya in a year". They did do a echo on me while I was at Mayo 4 days post op. I would imagine to make sure everything was working to perfection before I left. Is this standard practice with all hospitals? Just curious as to if it is, why do I read about so many people getting follow up echos in such a short period of time after surgery?

Mac
AVR, single by-pass
carbomedics mechanical
Dr. Suri
Mayo Clinic

It occured to me that the brain mri MAY be because I participated in a study regarding how they return the blood to the body after being on the bypass machine. I knew I would be called back in at 6 mos for a repeat of the neuro cognitive test that was part of the study. I did not realize that they would be doing an mri (if in fact that is the reason). I'm actually more confused about ct of the chest as opposed to echo or mri which would show the valve in motion. The cardio saw me at 3 weeks and told me" see you in a year" and at that time I know I will have an echo and I thought he said a ct or mri every 3 or 4 years. I think I'll make a phone call. Thanks for the input.

My husband had an MRI of the brain in April 2008 after his surgery (BAV repair and ascending aortic aneurysm repair at Cleveland Clinic) in September 2007. This was done to check for possible aneurysms in the brain. We were thrilled that his cardiologist (who trained at Cleveland Clinic but practices in Tennessee) was diligent in checking this in a preventative manner. Once you have an aortic aneurysm it is very possible to have other aneurysms. I don't find this procedure unusual at all. If you have an aneurysm elsewhere you WANT to know it!

Thank you for reminding me about checking for brain aneurysms. I do remember this being discussed but had forgotten. They did do a brain mri before surgery as well.

I see that your husband also had Dr. Svensson as surgeon. Thank you for your input havig been through this with your husband. I'm looking forward to seeing Dr. Svensson again and having him check his work.

I agree, you should ask Dr. Svensson why he wants a brain scan (not that you wouldn't do it, but to know if he suspects any problems or if it's just routine).

Funny, I also had surgery at Cleveland Clinic (Dr. Lytle, 5 months ago) and they didn't mention followup at all. I'm being tracked by a local cardiologist (in Seattle) but wasn't asked to check in with CC.

Latest posts

Back