6.5 week post OHS bike ride

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Thief

I've been slowly getting back into fitness and I'm pleased at my results today. I got on the road bike and rode 34 miles with an average speed of 13.8! If you are interested in seeing the data from my digifit app, check it out here: http://my.digifit.com/site/share/workout/10a074637b0211e3af8c25222bf2d1c2.html

You may notice a few huge spikes early on in my workout, which i think are either palpitations/PVC's or simply a glitch in the heart rate monitor. The monitor needs to be wet in order to get a good connection with the electrodes. Either way, I did a pretty good job keeping it under 140BPM. My average BPM was under 140 most of the time. I feel great. I have no shortness of breath or any trouble keeping up with a group of intermediate riders. I feel like if my doc were to take the restrictions off now, I could soon be at pre surgery levels, but don't worry VR.org friends, I will indeed wait until she gives me the ok before I unleash the beast again!

I am also training for a half marathon/marathon. That means running while also keeping heart rate under 140, which for me, is EXTREMELY difficult! I ran 3 miles the other day and could only run at a 12 min mile pace. I was constantly turning my jog into a speed walk because my BPM would go too high. As long as I stay with my program and do the miles, without pushing it past doctor prescribed limitations, I'll be a happy athlete!

Awesome news, but I'll bet that you'll soon not be at pre surgery levels, but beyond!

That's funny you say that Clay. I was thinking today: Though I thought that I had no symptoms before surgery, I was getting an awful lot of strong palpitations, even during exercise. Now that my post surgery PVCs have already gone away, I havent had any of those bad palpitations from before. I suspect that I will soon feel BEYOND what I felt before, which is just awesome. It is crazy how I was experience symptoms but not even noticing it, or perhaps subconsciously denying it. By the way Clay, I grew up in (bordentown) NJ and was diagnosed at Deborah as a child. I went there for 4 year checkups until I moved to the west coast.

That's the same hr restriction I was on. It made it very difficult to ride up the hills around here.

Yeah I know what you mean. There's some good hills too, in fact my default ride in town is a pretty burly route that we call the 'sunset loop': http://ridewithgps.com/trips/224883

I ride a road bike primarily, and in order to get the miles in, I've been sticking to the relatively flat routes. I'm curious Sten Osis, when was your HR restriction lifted?

Yeah buddy!!!! This is some very good progress at 6 weeks. You are already running/jogging better than me at that time. ;)

Yeah buddy!!!! This is some very good progress at 6 weeks. You are already running/jogging better than me at that time. ;)

Thanks Vadim! Different body types between us for sure. You wont see me squatting 5,000 pounds!! Though I have done some squatting at the gym. I did squats using just the bar. What's that, 45 pounds, right? I felt the burn in a good way the next day. 7 weeks today!!

I also had HR restrictions - that was a pain when I tried to "run" - took me a while to get back to normal......but I got there and so will you! Congrats on your progress!!!

Latest posts

Back