5 weeks post op and now I have bronchitis!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosebud54

Last week I started having this terrible post nasal drip, then a bad wet cough started three days ago. So I thought I'd better take a trip to the docs. Doc said if I'm not doing better by Wed, I have to have a chest xray. Hopefully it will clear up.

Carol

Carol,

I had something similar happen shortly after 3 weeks post-op with the same symptoms, except my cough was dry and I couldn't bring anything up. I went to the regular doc and she said I had asthma and put me on an albuterol nebulizer. It didn't do anything so I called my cardiologist and she put me on a Medrol Dosepak (a tapered steroid over 6 days. The major cough was gone by the end of the steroid treatment and the residual cough I had was gone a week later. I think I had coughed so much my lungs were inflamed which just caused more coughing. The steroids reduced the inflammation. They also put me on a cough syrup to quiet my cough which also helped to reduce the inflammation in my lungs. Stay on top of this. If it doesn't go away you probably need to go on antibiotics ASAP just in case it is bacterial instead of viral. Bacterial bronchitis can lead to endocarditis if not treated and left to "fester".

Thanks for the info, Bryan. He did put me on a Z PAC and Tessalon Perle couch suppresant. If by Wed I don't feel better he will get an x ray. Also I'm calling my cardo just to let him know.

Carol

A Z pac might do the trick but don't hesitate to contact your doctor if you don't see real improvement. You may need a longer course of antibiotic. Don't let this ride.

Hope you feel better soon.

Had the same thing after 5 weeks post op.Diagnosed as walking pnemonia.Given 10 days of antibiotics and was cleared up after about 6 days.Took all the antibiotics and feel fine.

Latest posts

Back