43 years

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dick0236 said:
Back when I had the valve implanted they apparently did not issue "serial numbers"
I think we still had letters in our telephone numbers. Did we have zip codes then? Man had not yet landed on the moon.

Your new valve has lasted longer than the original. Congratulations!

A VR hall of fame sounds like a great idea.........it not only toots the horns for the pioneers, but also help document in one place what is possible for all to see - guests, newbies, and the rest of us.

I think we still had letters in our telephone numbers. Did we have zip codes then? Man had not yet landed on the moon.

Your new valve has lasted longer than the original. Congratulations!

A VR hall of fame sounds like a great idea.........it not only toots the horns for the pioneers, but also help document in one place what is possible for all to see - guests, newbies, and the rest of us.

Ah, c'mon:redface2:....you're really dating me now. We had stopped using letters in phone numbers a few years before my valve:rolleyes2:, I think we had postal zones, but not zip codes:confused2: and I'm not sure about the "man on the moon"...but it was around that time.

I had to think about your statement "your new valve has lasted longer than the original"....but you are right, 43 years vs 31 years:cool2:. Ain't technology wunnerful:biggrin2:.

Just a reminder

Just a reminder

Congratulations, Dick!:)
You have reached a milestone that few have attained and few will. We are all very jealous (myself included) for your good fortune.:D You are truly the lucky one.

As to your record, there is no doubt that if you aren't the record holder, your certainly near first in the cue to claim the prize. In 1965, they began heat-curing the ball to make it last longer and all the other early designs had faults which cause them not to last. HVR were not even considered safe till the '70s which kept the number down. Back then, as is still true today, pts. under the age of 35 make-up a relatively smaller proportion of the valves that are replaced. Also, it is a fact that the case studies I have seen where a post-'65 Starr-Edwards was explanted (always due to causes other than valve failure) and replaced in favor of a more efffient valve, pathology all remarked about how almost "pristine" the explanted valve was. Finally, ACT testing was primitive compared to today and many of the early recipient died because drs. had little understand of the miracle drug warfarin or even the need for it. Given all those factors and the fact of life that people are aging out, it is very unlikely to be very many left in the "league" to play for the record. You are truly unique!

I think Dr. Starr comment reflected the fact that a model of that type was in common use before the Bjork-Shiley became the valve of choice in the '70s. Early implants pre-70s of any valve type were certainly rare by today's number. I have a possible lead on information on another early Starr-Edwards, that may still be alive but it is taking a long time to track it down. I'm pretty sure if you asked Dr. Starr specifically what are the chances of anyone having an implanted Starr-Edwards valve longer then you, his answer would be appreciably different because he is acutely aware of the historical reasons listed above.

In appreciation of Dr. Starr's pioneering efforts, the anniversary of which will occur next month, I am collecting a list of heart valver who wish to congratulate him on his accomplishment. If you or other wish to be included in the card, you may PM me here with a short message to Dr. Starr and I will copy and paste it to the list that I am compiling from other heart related websites. No matter what kind of valve you have, we all owe a lot to Dr. Starr.:thumbup:

I hope that those who find my rare post objectionable, will forgive my tribute to Dick and his accomplishment.:angel:

For all those wishing to be included in the card to Dr. Starr, send me a PM and I will copy and paste it to a letter insert. The deadline is next Monday.:)

I also know a friend who has had the star edwards for 38 years. I thought his was probabley one of the oldest. I guess you beat him. Congrats. Gives hope to the rest of the valve family.

Dick - As the others have said, you are truly an inspiration to all of us. This is especially true for those of us still waiting our own turns at surgery. Thanks for being here!

Congratulations Dick! No surprise that it's lasted this long. After all, Dr Starr & Mr. Edwards' design was truly a "Modern Marvel" in it's day! I am alive thanks to Dr. Starr's skill. My wife's uncle, Arnie Solberg, worked with Dr. Starr & Lowell Edwards as a machinist when your valve was designed. It's all in the family to me ;)

Latest posts

Back