4 Years

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laggard

4 years ago this week I had my mitral valve repaired. Recovery was suprisingly quick and easy.

However, mentally I have never really felt quite the same since. A bit more generalized anxiety, a bit more depression but mostly just feeling sorta off if that makes any sense.

Anyone else deal with this?

Ive not had that exact issue but if your diagnosis was out of,the blue, the shock that you needed OHS may have brought about a feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop. I have dealt with anxiety most of my adult life and take an antidepressant and anti-anxiety meds. Not saying you need to do the same, just sharing. Perhaps you can talk with a therapist if the anxiety grows worse and interferes with your life.

There was an excellent thread about post-surgery anxiety started by Workmonkey a while ago: This is such a huge thing for someone to go through; it's no surprise that the experience changes you, for both better and worse. If you had never had any serious health problems before, now you're more aware of what can happen and may have lost some blissful innocence.

Last edited:
I have two years behind me now after a mitral repair. I figure the mental agitation and stress I feel is pretty much the way it is going to stay. I look forward each day to retreat to a cool, quiet, darkish room. Feeling off can go to feeling overwhelmed. I have a number of ways to deal with this now. My co-workers and family are very considerate.

How are you coping with this anxiety?

I recently read a book called "Treating Health Anxiety: A Cognitive-Behavioral Approach," by Dr. Steven Taylor, which was helpful. There are also techniques like mindfulness meditation which can help, as can just talking to other people about it. Last weekend I had dinner with a friend of mine who just completed radiation therapy for prostate cancer, and it was great to be able to talk about things like fatigue and anxiety with someone who can relate.

As Workmonkey said in the thread that I linked to earlier, some coping aids are "books, online resources, meditation, talk therapy and of course this forum." [h=1][/h]

neil;n865960 said:
I know since my op I get upset more over the most stupid things and cry at any sad film,

I am more emotional now. I've always had some generalized anxiety issues but it's gotten worse since my surgery.

Latest posts

Back