4 Weeks Post Op - Im new here

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmyup7

Hi My name is Tim

I'm new here. I don't have a avatar yet. However for now here is one
timmyacostapic.php.jpg
I'm happy I found this site. Don't feel so alone about this. My surgery was 01/23/2010 mechanical valve installed . Little more than 4 weeks ago. They said I was lucky to make it. Very happy to be alive. Really appreciate my family and everyones support to help me make it through. =)

Its weird I can hear my heart rate go up since after the surgery and they prescribed me to metoprolol. Which I don't like them, I think it makes me forget stuff. But I think I'm getting better not forget stuff now. They said I have blood pressure. One of my goals is to get off the metoprolol and not have high blood pressure . Hopefully very soon.
I have been walking on the treadmill the past few weeks. Feel better. I feel comfortable to start running on the treadmill now. But I think I'm going to wait a couple more weeks. Don't want overdue it. Having the surgery does feel a little depressing. Since im not normal anymore. But very happy to be alive. I also read on the Internet that a 35 year old. a person that has a mechanical valve only lives to 50. But it what it is. If that’s true. But trying to stay positive. I saw people on this site. That are able to run marathons etc. That's really neat. Gives me hope to feel officially normal for the small span I'm still alive.

Sneezing and coughing still hurt a bit, but better everyday.
Feels like my heart sounds so much louder than it used too. My Echo is next month. hopefully its good. :)

Hi Tim, pleased to meet you. Do not believe all you read, your valve is good for 50 years and now you are through the op you will have a normal lifespan, I am still waiting for surgery and have yet to choose a valve.

My heart pounds like a sledgehammer due to the leaking valve, so I am hoping to get some peace.

David

Hi David thanks. Good to meet you aswell. Thats good to hear. They did mention all that before from my doctors. I think Im just garbling my brain with all the other internet Im reading possibly as you said. Just hearing my heart loud and the fast rate. Wierds me out. Dont want high blood pressure and especially those metoprolol are wierd. I dont like them. But I have to take it to lower my high blood pressure. Before I never felt my heart rate feel so loud and hard before. But I think thats just how it is after surgery..I can feel my heart rhythms so easy now..or maybe im paranoid..trying to listen I dunno..I miss the quiet heart.. Doctor said Im fine. Hopefully the echo is good...

Sorry to hear David. Best wishes on the surgery. Get well soon.

Tim

Hi Tim,
We are close in age and close in surgery. I am 36 and my surgery is next Tuesday. I will have my aortic valve replaced. Listen, don't ever think for one second that we aren't "normal" anymore because of this surgery. After we have the surgery we go on to live normal lifespans. Sure, some folks don't, but that's true independent of heart valve surgery, right? (by the way, I'm guessing you read the article on medtv.com that says people our age with mechanical valves only live 15 years or so? that article totally freaked me out, too, when I saw it. I asked my doctor about it and he told me not to believe everything I read. That the people in that study had other health issues that contributed to their death. So if you want to put your mind at rest, call your surgeon and ask about it)
In the meantime, congratulations on getting through the surgery. Keep a positive attitude about recovery and you'll be feeling better in no time! (and I'm going to need you to remind me of that, too, when I'm in recover 4 weeks from now!)
Take care,
Derek

Hi Tim. I suggest you look at the profile of Dick0236. That will encourage you. There are also lots of others on this site who have had a mechanical valve for a long time and are "going strong"!!

Hi, Tim, and welcome! I usually welcome people to our virtual waiting room before surgery, but I'll be leaving the waiting room with dmeehan on March 1st. As the others said, unless you have other serious medical conditions, after you have had your valve surgery you will probably live as long as anyone else your age. Especially with your mechanical valve, odds are that it will last your full normal life span.

I am a bit older (63 now) and have chosen a different valve, but one choice we have all made together is the choice to live. Take care of your body and it will take care of you. I'm glad you're thinking of getting back to an exercise program. I'm convinced that is what kept me from needing my surgery much sooner - I've been a jogger for over 30 years and hope to get back to it shortly after surgery.

Welcome to th evr.org Class of 2011!

Hey Timmy, good to meet you! You are still alive and have fought well. Keep on staying positive and stay with this group and you will do just fine. My surgery is scheduled for Friday and I am not alone, thanks for sharing with us.

Tim, a heart felt WELCOME to our OHS family glad you are getting the information that you are seeking and are comfortable with your valve choice, there is a wealth of knowledge here for the future .....

Bob/tobagotwo has up dated a list of acronyms and short forms http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8494&d=1276042314

what to ask pre surgery http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...68-Pre-surgery-consultation-list-of-questions

what to take with you to the hospital http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?13283-what-to-take-to-the-hospital-a-checklist

Preparing the house for post surgical patients http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...Getting-Comfortable-Around-the-House&p=218802

These are from various forum stickies and there is plenty more to read as well

And Lynw recently added this PDF on what to expect post op
http://www.sts.org/documents/pdf/whattoexpect.pdf

Hi Tim. I suggest you look at the profile of Dick0236. That will encourage you. There are also lots of others on this site who have had a mechanical valve for a long time and are "going strong"!!
A GREAT suggestion as Dick celebrated his 75th birthday yeasterday and not long ago his 43rd valversay

Hi Tim,
We are close in age and close in surgery. I am 36 and my surgery is next Tuesday. I will have my aortic valve replaced. Listen, don't ever think for one second that we aren't "normal" anymore because of this surgery. After we have the surgery we go on to live normal lifespans. Sure, some folks don't, but that's true independent of heart valve surgery, right? (by the way, I'm guessing you read the article on medtv.com that says people our age with mechanical valves only live 15 years or so? that article totally freaked me out, too, when I saw it. I asked my doctor about it and he told me not to believe everything I read. That the people in that study had other health issues that contributed to their death. So if you want to put your mind at rest, call your surgeon and ask about it)
In the meantime, congratulations on getting through the surgery. Keep a positive attitude about recovery and you'll be feeling better in no time! (and I'm going to need you to remind me of that, too, when I'm in recover 4 weeks from now!)
Take care,
Derek

Your right Derek. That’s a poor attitude for myself. Saying we aren’t normal anymore because of the surgery. Working on myself to stay more positive. My doctor said the same thing..I will live a lifetime.. I just started to read a tons internet stuff all day and night..started to over bog my brain with stuff..like medtv.com..but after reading your replies here etc....I pretty much accept now..its not accurate.. I wish my hospital would showed me about this website..it took a lot searching to finally find this site..
As I said very glad I found this forum…very helpful.. Appreciate it Derek…Im getting better everyday..the first week was a little rough..second week..felt much better..and everyday after…just get stronger and feeling better everyday…Im sure you will battle the surgery in no time..best wishes and get well soon

Hi, Tim, and welcome! I usually welcome people to our virtual waiting room before surgery, but I'll be leaving the waiting room with dmeehan on March 1st. As the others said, unless you have other serious medical conditions, after you have had your valve surgery you will probably live as long as anyone else your age. Especially with your mechanical valve, odds are that it will last your full normal life span.

I am a bit older (63 now) and have chosen a different valve, but one choice we have all made together is the choice to live. Take care of your body and it will take care of you. I'm glad you're thinking of getting back to an exercise program. I'm convinced that is what kept me from needing my surgery much sooner - I've been a jogger for over 30 years and hope to get back to it shortly after surgery.

Welcome to th evr.org Class of 2011!

Thanks Epstns. and best wishes on the surgery and everything. Get well soon!

15 years,,,, don't listen to that garbage, exercise will keep you going long after that. They say people with cardiomyopathy die in 5 years, and I was diagnosed 25 years ago and here I am.

I am a true believer in staying active, but DO not try to jog too soon. Your heart takes a long time to heal, and walking/light swimming is your best bet for now. I pushed too hard in the beginning, and ended up with afib; you don't need to go down that road. Take low and slow, increasing every week. I would recommend cardiac rehab strongly. Your boddy will tell you when it is time to get jiggy with it. good luck

Hey Timmy, good to meet you! You are still alive and have fought well. Keep on staying positive and stay with this group and you will do just fine. My surgery is scheduled for Friday and I am not alone, thanks for sharing with us.

Thanks Jeff! Good to meet you aswell. Welcome. Best wishes on the surgery. Get well soon

Tim, a heart felt WELCOME to our OHS family glad you are getting the information that you are seeking and are comfortable with your valve choice, there is a wealth of knowledge here for the future .....

Bob/tobagotwo has up dated a list of acronyms and short forms http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8494&d=1276042314

what to ask pre surgery http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...68-Pre-surgery-consultation-list-of-questions

what to take with you to the hospital http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?13283-what-to-take-to-the-hospital-a-checklist

Preparing the house for post surgical patients http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...Getting-Comfortable-Around-the-House&p=218802

These are from various forum stickies and there is plenty more to read as well

And Lynw recently added this PDF on what to expect post op
http://www.sts.org/documents/pdf/whattoexpect.pdf

A GREAT suggestion as Dick celebrated his 75th birthday yeasterday and not long ago his 43rd valversay

Thank you Greg. Very helpful information. Much appreciated, looking at it now.

15 years,,,, don't listen to that garbage, exercise will keep you going long after that. They say people with cardiomyopathy die in 5 years, and I was diagnosed 25 years ago and here I am.

I am a true believer in staying active, but DO not try to jog too soon. Your heart takes a long time to heal, and walking/light swimming is your best bet for now. I pushed too hard in the beginning, and ended up with afib; you don't need to go down that road. Take low and slow, increasing every week. I would recommend cardiac rehab strongly. Your boddy will tell you when it is time to get jiggy with it. good luck

Thanks Todd. I feel strong enough I can start running. But my heart kinda feels fragile. Like my heart pressure is going to start increasing alot. So ya I agree. I should take it more easy more..before jogging again. ya i probably should ..cardiac rehab..i have to look into that..

What is the average time...The heart heals very well from this?

Thanks Todd. I feel strong enough I can start running. But my heart kinda feels fragile. Like my heart pressure is going to start increasing alot. So ya I agree. I should take it more easy more..before jogging again. ya i probably should ..cardiac rehab..i have to look into that..

What is the average time...The heart heals very well from this?

Everyone is different, for me I started feeling that inner strength (eye of the tiger for Rocky fans) at 8 months, but I have other issues to deal with. Some people are back up to speed in far less time. Listen to your body, it will guide you. Be sure to eat a good diet high in fiber, and take supliments that reduce inflamation. I take COq10, L-carnatine, L-arganine, d-ribose, Acai juice, Magnesium, and fish oil. Oh and I just started K2, but the jury is still out on that one.

Thanks Todd. I can take any knowledge to help lower my high blood pressure...really appreciate it...I hate those Metoprolol..Im counting the days..I dont have to take those anymore.

Hi, Tim and welcome!
I had surgery 10 days before you- 1/13/2011. I'm 46 years old, but was diagnosed with a bad valve when I was 33. It wasn't bad enough to replace until this year. I got a mechanical valve, too (OnX brand). I'm on metroprolol as well, so I know what you mean. They give it to you to keep your pressure down so your heart doesn't have to work so hard while it is healing so think of it as temporary and helping you heal faster. Later, if you still have HBP, you can probably switch to something else.

I got afib at 2 weeks, so I'm on a lot more drugs that make me feel funky, but I know it is temporary while my heart is adjusting to hte new valve and healing.

You are not normal--you are BETTER than normal. You are the proud owner of one of the greatest life extending medical devices there is. Now that you have had this surgery, the truth is that you have a normal life expectancy again. Before the surgery, you surely would have died prematurely. You will meet many on this forum who have been living with a valve replacement for 20plus years. There is even a guy (RBC)on another similar website who is the oldest living child recipient of a mechanical valve. He got his first one in 1960, I believe. He has had them replaced as techonology improved over the years, but he has had a mechanical valve 50ish years and is still going strong!

You are probably on warfarin since you have a mechanical valve. You might want to read some of the info onthe anti-coagulation forum. Those of us here on warfarin are big believers in self testing if you are on long-term warfarin therapy. Studies show that those who self monitor and self test have fewer complications long term with the anti-coagulation therapy.

The ticking and thumping will likely get better with time. Your heart is used to pumping with your bad valve and it will take time for it to adjust to the new valve, so don't worry about that too much.

Everyone is different, but I've read that most start feeling really good at 6 mos and are fully recovered 100% at 1 year.

Welcome!

Last edited:
Hi My name is Tim

I'm new here. I don't have a avatar yet. However for now here is one
timmyacostapic.php.jpg
I'm 35 years old. I'm happy I found this site. Don't feel so alone about this. My surgery was 01/23/2010 mechanical valve installed . Little more than 4 weeks ago. They said I was lucky to make it. Very happy to be alive. Really appreciate my family and everyones support to help me make it through. =)

Its weird I can hear my heart rate go up since after the surgery and they prescribed me to metoprolol. Which I don't like them, I think it makes me forget stuff. But I think I'm getting better not forget stuff now. They said I have blood pressure. One of my goals is to get off the metoprolol and not have high blood pressure . Hopefully very soon.
I have been walking on the treadmill the past few weeks. Feel better. I feel comfortable to start running on the treadmill now. But I think I'm going to wait a couple more weeks. Don't want overdue it. Having the surgery does feel a little depressing. Since im not normal anymore. But very happy to be alive. I also read on the Internet that a 35 year old. a person that has a mechanical valve only lives to 50. But it what it is. If that’s true. But trying to stay positive. I saw people on this site. That are able to run marathons etc. That's really neat. Gives me hope to feel officially normal for the small span I'm still alive.

Sneezing and coughing still hurt a bit, but better everyday.
Feels like my heart sounds so much louder than it used too. My Echo is next month. hopefully its good. :)

Where did you find that NON-Sense about only living to age 50 with a mechanical heart valve?

Member Nancy's husband had multiple heart and lung issues and several surgeries.
Some of this Doctor's told him he probably would not live past age 50.
He died not too long ago at age 75 of Multiple Organ Failure with BOTH of his Mechanical Heart Valves still clicking away to the very end.

We have another member, Dick0236, who has had an 'ancient' mechanical heart valve that was discontinued years ago for 43 years and counting.

Bi-Leaflet Mechanical Heart Valves were introduced in the 80's? and are designed not to 'wear out' for multiple lifetimes. New ways of monitoring and managing anticoagulation (Coumadin / Warfarin) were invented in the early 1990's which greatly reduced the 'bad outcomes' which were more prevelent before then due to variations in the testing reagents used and misunderstandings in how anticoagulents worked. The most stable INR results typically come from Home Testing (and Self Dosing if you teach yourself the proper protocols) with weekly or bi-monthly testing. The next best results come from going to a Dedicated Coumadin Clinic where their nurses are trained in the latest management techniques and test monthly for stable patients. See the Anti-Coagulaton Forum for more real-life experiences living with / on Coumadin.

'AL Capshaw'

Everyone is different, for me I started feeling that inner strength (eye of the tiger for Rocky fans) at 8 months, but I have other issues to deal with. Some people are back up to speed in far less time. Listen to your body, it will guide you. Be sure to eat a good diet high in fiber, and take supliments that reduce inflamation. I take COq10, L-carnatine, L-arganine, d-ribose, Acai juice, Magnesium, and fish oil. Oh and I just started K2, but the jury is still out on that one.

wow that COq10 is not cheap..saw at listed at $40.00..found some sites around $10.00 hopefully its true
http://www.thefind.com/query.php?query=CoQ10

Latest posts

Back