38th Anniversary of 2 mechanical valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John & Joann

It does not seem that it is time to write about Joann celebrating her 38th annivesary with 2 mechanical heart valves. Dec.10th, 1971 was a day that will be written in our life story in STONE! We were only married for 3 months (1959) when they discovered her heart damage from rheumatic fever. Starr Edwards valves were the choice by the Cleveland Clinic surgeons. She lived 31 years before the surgery, lost one child in premature birth, and had AN OUTSTANDING daughter, added a son in law, and 3 grandchildren. What a life we have had together.

She has a pacemaker installed in 1996 and 2 new valves (Carbomedics) and 3 bypass in 1999. She has and is living a nearly normal life. We do not remember life without coumadin. We have traveled to 48 states and most of Canada, many cruises, and are snowbirds with our RV in Port Charlotte, Florida. Cleveland Clinc, the local cardiologist, and the family doctor are very pleased. They have encouraged us to "be a normal family". This is not always possible, but she has sure tried very hard!!!!!!!

It is always interesting to go to the coumadin clinic. They use local pharmacy students that work with the staff to learn about protime. We always get there attention when we remind them that Joann has been on coumadin far longer than their current age. They all drop their mouth in shock and really do not have a quick response. The staff attempt to give every student one exposure to Joann to show that the testing does work.

Believe in your doctors (or find new ones), have faith in your spiritual life, enjoy your family, attempt to live a positive life, (not always easy) take your medications EXACTLY as directed, get plenty of rest, keep active in tasks that you enjoy, and give thanks for the morning sun and the evening sunset.

Happy Clicking to everyone on this wonderful site.

What a lovely tribute to your Joann. You have really been her champion and I'm sure she feels she couldn't have done it without you John. I remember back when she got her two new valves and am just pleased as punch that both of y'all are still with us.

Joann, yours is truly a remarkable achievment, having two valves implanted that long ago. Keep on doin' what has worked for you over all these years.

John, thanks for posting. I know that Joann's story helps the new folks alot....helps us old farts too:).

Hello, you two. Your lives sound well lived. You are to be admired. What an inspiration Joann is and you, too, John, because you never faltered in your love for her. Congratulations to both y'all.

Enjoy Pt Charlotte. I know it's beautiful weather down there and sure that you are loving those gulf sunsets.

Blessins.......

Thank you for this most inspiring post and words of wisdom, John. My most sincere congratulations to Joann and you. It is very heartwarming.

God Bless your JoAnn & may she be blessed with many, many more years of life!

Her story has got to be such an inspiration to all newbies who wait in fear of what they can expect after OHS.

For a lot of us, life started after OHS! :) May you both stay well!!!

Congratulations Joann and John. That is so inspirational to all of us. I will be coming up on 10 years in January, so I now know I have an easy 28 plus years to go on this old clicker! God bless you both. :)

Last edited:
John:
Thanks for posting this.
Joann:
You are inspirational (and so is John!) to so many people. Glad to read that pharmacy students are getting to meet you.
May you have many more valveversaries ahead!

. . . What a life we have had together . . Believe in your doctors (or find new ones), have faith in your spiritual life, enjoy your family, attempt to live a positive life, (not always easy) take your medications EXACTLY as directed, get plenty of rest, keep active in tasks that you enjoy, and give thanks for the morning sun and the evening sunset . . .
Lovely to read. The part about reminding the new pharmacy students that she's successfully been on ACT longer than they've been alive was fun to read also. Continued best wishes :) .

What a wonderful, inspiring post! Congratulations on your superb marriage first, and the many happy years of heart valve living!

Latest posts

Back