37 Years and Still Ticking!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John & Joann

My wife of 49+ years (Joann) will celebrate her 37th year of double mechanical valves on Dec. 10th. (She weighed 88 lbs and was in MAJOR heart failure) Throughout these years she has had the celebration of good medical care and success and the frustrations of medical challenges.

I write this message each year (and I hope for many more years) not to just celebrate her miracle, but to give all of you hope that there is life after heart surgery. Among her challenges had been the need to replace the valves after 28 years, a stroke, many TIA'S, atrial fib, 3 bypass, the need for a pacemaker, the challenge to convince doctors that amiodarone was NOT the correct medicine for her, the bag antibiotics prior to dental cleaning, the allergy to Heaperin, High and Low IRN's. depression and frustrations, high blood pressure, and many other issues.

It is interenting to note that the other long life double valve replacement on this site lives within 50 miles of our home. We have common friends, but have never met.

Joann drives a car, attends grandchildren activities, active in church, travels to Florida for 3 months in the RV with a 15 month old dog, an 18 year old cat, and a spouse that sometimes agitates the situation. We have been in 48 states, much of Canada, and most of the Caribbean Islands via cruise ships. Every doctor calls her a miracle and encourages her to enjoy life. Sometimes that is difficult.

I hope that this message gives you all hope that you can "Climb the Mountain", "Enjoy the View", and have hope to reach the "Shining Sea".

Happy Holidays to Everyone.!!!!

P.S. Joann does not do computers, but I will show her this message on Wednesday.

Thanks for the post, John, and thanks, Joann, for being one of the "pioneers" of this kind of surgery and treatment. I am just 53 years old, 15 months out from aortic replacement, and yes, I am enjoying life as if it never happened!

I find that to be very inspiring. Thanks for sharing that!

Steve
My complete experience with minimally invasive mitral valve surgery.
http://www.myvalvesurgery.com
Severe Mitral Regurgitation
Mimimally Invasive Mitral Valve Repair - 10/17/2008
Duke Medical Center
Dr. Donald Glower

Congratulations on the 37th anniversary. May there be many many more. Thanks for sharing your experience. Your story is an inspiration to us all.

Happy Valveversary and best wishes for Many, Many more- you are truly an inspiration, Joann!

Congratulations John and Joann on the valveversary of 37 years! May there be many more years of such a loving marriage. You are both blessed.

I know how difficult things can be at times, and I applaud your stamina and spirit!

Congratulations Joann. You are always a major inspiration to the group. And John, thank you for taking such good care of her;).

Coming up on 10 years myself. My card thinks the valve will last another 15-18. In those words. According to JoAnn's schedule. Seems about right.

Living in the now and enjoying each day. :) We all have good days and not so great. Taking them as they come.

Say hello to Joann.

Congratulations to both of you. Having support is crucial in longevity. Makes me actually believe I will make my goal of reaching 100 years old.

Wishing you many, many more.

Thank you for posting this, John!!

Thank you for posting this, John!!

I love reading about celebrations such as this one as this provides me with such hope for Katie's future! Thanks for sharing.............and btw, :DCongratulations!!!! Hugs to you both. Janet

God bless you both -

God bless you both -

such an inspirational story. I wish you many more years together enjoying life!! Joann - you are one brave lady and I applaud you!

Christina L

Joann,John even the name collaberate together so well:)

congratulations on your valversary,Joann and john your post

to lovely wife and us is just a sence of peace.......beautiful.

It warms every part as i read,each emotion you both have

endured together.....I hope you celebrate the valversary well.

all the best to each of you,God bless with his abundant blessings

to both of you

zipper2 (DEB)

What an AWESOME post, John ... thank you!!!!

And, Joann ... CONGRATULATIONS! What an inspiration you are :).

And, one day, sure hope I can meet ya'll when I pass through Ohio....

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 drive = Sept '09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"When you kiss your little baby, you've kissed the face of God" ... Kenny Rogers/Wynonna ... 'Mary, Did You Know?'

What an absolutely wonderful post!!! May you both have many more years of good health and wedded bliss. Thank you for your post.

Evelyn---40 years of marriage and 6 years with Tyce's OHS.

JoAnne, congratulations on another 'birthday'. John keeps us up to date so we know you very well. You are a great inspiration to all on this board and give hope to everyone. Thank you both for staying with us in VR. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas. Enjoy your time in Lettuce Lake. I know the area very well. Used to live in Arcadia so I know about the weather, the alligators, armadillos and the wonderful area. Blessins - and wish you many more happy years. You go, Girl!

Latest posts

Back