3 Years ago on 1/9/7

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruth

Seems this time of year I get reminiscent of the surgery experience, three years ago.

For those of you in the waiting room, pre surgery or newly post surgery let me offer to you that the entire ordeal, bumps and all, is entirely time well spent.

Every day that I now feel great, that is infinitely better than 3 or 4 years ago today, I am thankful for talented surgeons (especially mine, Dr. Ellis), and thankful to live in a time and a place where I could be given the gift of a mended heart.

I am also very thankful for all of you on this forum who helped me, gave me advice and support at a time when I needed it the most. I cannot measure or put into words how grateful I was, and still am, for all that you generously shared.

I wish you all a happy, prosperous, and above all a HEALTHY New Year!

All my Best,
Ruth

Thanks for the note of encouragement, Ruth. It is, indeed, a wonderful time in which to live when a failing heart valve can be corrected with such excellent results. I have been thinking a lot in these past weeks about the Grandfater I never knew because he died at 48 in 1954. I almost certainly got my heart valve problem from him but he lived in the time before heart surgery and valve replacement. Thanks for your reminder.

Larry

Congratulations on your 3 year anniversary, Ruth. I am not far behind you with my 3 years hitting 02/21. I remember 3 years ago it was busy on VR.COM with several of us having surgery around the same time. I am glad to hear you are doing so well. I wish you continued good health!

Chris

HI RUTH!!

Glad you have come out of your lurking mode to say hello! I hope you will stick around as your voice was always so relevant and consoling and right on. I'm so glad to hear your positive remarks.... I think for awhile you were having a rough go of it.

It is amazing to look back, and to hear those with newer experiences feeling and doubting and worrying and rejoicing in so much the same way. I'll be 4 years out in April and it seems like an eternity ago! Life has been so rich and full in the last 4 years. I, too, am so very grateful to have been able to experience it.

Happy New Year to YOU, too!!!

:D Marguerite

Congratulations on your 3rd anniversary & here's wishing you many more aniversaries ahead of you all filled with good health & wonderful things!

Stay well! :)

Thank you all! It's great to see the old and new faces both. There sure were a bunch of us about this time 3 years back.

I guess it's all part of the process to look back and reflect. You're right, Marguerite, I had a really challenging first few months. On top of the AFib and bad reaction to Amioderone I also caught a terrible bout of stomach flu followed within a week or two by bronchitis. May I recommend not catching bronchitis? Coughing for days on end post surgery really isn't a good thing, you simply can't hug that pillow tight enough.

It seemed like it took me a year to get my strength back, and there were times I wondered if it would ever come back, but in fact it did and I'm really no worse the wear for it now.

I would suggest to those newly post op to refrain from drawing any conclusions about what your 'new' life will be like until it all settles out, like after as many months as your body needs. We're all so anxious to be 'normal' again, or at least learn what our 'new normal' is. I honestly think I was getting stronger every day for a year, maybe two before I settled into my 'new normal' which is better in so many ways than the old.

Thanks again,
Ruth

Latest posts

Back