3 weeks today - all is good. curious about popping rib (?) noises when moving

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Hazelton

Feeling well. Walking a lot. Started rehab this week. I have less sternum sensation every day it seems. I remember the surgeon the day of my release (day 5) holding two fingers a-straddle my sternum and having me cough to feel for any possible loosening of the wires/staples and all was secure. Now I notice knuckle-like cracking when rolling/reaching in bed at night or when shampooing in the shower. I would think if this was my sternum that it would be very painful. It is not painful in the least. Just more pronounced than it ever was before surgery. I asked a follow up doc if it might be crunching / adjusting rib ligaments, etc. and he said yes, that's what it is.

As you heal the conective tissues take as long and maybe longer to grow back between the sternum and ribs and so a bit of clicking........because I have no conective tissue and sternum there are nights I must pull downward on my ribs and collar bone to eliminate the chocking sensation I get .....this is all part of "my new normal"

.:biggrin2:

Last edited:
I got quite a bit of that around week 5 I think. It's all gone now at 8 weeks. It doesn't hurt but it gets your attention.

The good news is, it gets less frequent fairly early on, but for me at least, was an occasional feature of my life for more than a year. In fact I had the most disconcerting noises of all just about a month ago, and I'm coming up on three years. I think that the connective tissues occasionally scrape across or pop over wire or something like that. Painless, and harmless as far as I can tell.

I dont want to be all paranoid on u and i am by no means an expert however.....i am five days post and the tehab people here say that there should be no noise like a click or a pop. Now maybe they are talking within the first six weeks but if it wereme i would call my doc just to makw sure

Latest posts

Back