3-month post-surgery check up

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eva

Miracle Believer
Supporting Member
I saw my cardio yesterday, he listened to my heart, answered my questions, and was happy:) He did not do EKG, nor Echo. Just blood work for electrolytes and lipid panel. He wants me to have a stress echo in three-four months.

Is this the norm?!:confused: wasn't there a need for an echo now?!

I have some fluid retention since we ate out a lot and the Holiday. Cardio did not recommend dieuretic...he asked me to abstain from adding salt to cooking completely for a while; and in general, he recommended I avoid the three Ss: Salt, Sugar, Saturated Fat.

Last edited:
Eva, I do the low salt thing, it is no problem at all....of course I eat at home and only occasionally go out for lunch.
Fat I don't like....Sugar is harder to avoid! Yum Yum
Congrats on the good heart check up.

Happy to hear you had a nice visit with your cardio. Just went through this myself about a month ago and know that it's the best feeling in the world isn't it.

Take Care

Thank you, all, for sharing my happiness. Yes, it is a wonderful feeling, and it would have been more wonderful if I did not have the extra lbs of fluids on:D

What about echo test. None after three months?!

I get a new echo in a couple of weeks, about 3 and a half months after my mitral valve replacement. I don't know if that's typical, but I do want to know how my little bovine valve is working in there!

Hi Eva,

I am sorry I can't help you with the echo question, but am very happy for you that you had a good cardio. check up. It must be somewhat of a relief.

:)

Congratulations on the good report. I can't help you with the echo question as I had fluid complications so didn't follow the "normal" post-op check-up routine.

Hi Eva,
So glad you got such a good report!:) Don't worry about your Echo. I did'nt have one till 6 months after surgery probally because of the healing process.
As for the salt & sugar thing its hard but they would like you to do it without taking more meds if you can. Keep up the good work!
Keep counting your blessings on such a good report. :):)

Thanks again to all of you, dears!!;)

I count my blessings all the time for where I am now campared to where I was before surgery, and I count my blessings for having you all here as a loving extended family:)

So far it was easy to keepy Salt and Sat. Fat out, but Sugar slips in

So happy to hear your good report Eva!! :) As for the Echo, some doctors do one after 3-4 months, others do not; looks like yours does not. I wouldn't worry about it however so long as you continue to feel good and try to stay off that salt! The sugar.....well like Bina said, that's pretty hard too especially with all the holidays & all that wonderful food, but do what you can! Remember to read your labels & if something is available in low-sodium or no salt added then go for that!

I am scheduled for my 3-month Echo on Tuesday of this coming week so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Stay well my friend!

Good work Eva.........You deserve the best for yet your double valve

replacement.........Way to go Eva.

zipper2 (DEB)

So happy to hear your good report Eva!! :) As for the Echo, some doctors do one after 3-4 months, others do not; looks like yours does not. I wouldn't worry about it however so long as you continue to feel good and try to stay off that salt! The sugar.....well like Bina said, that's pretty hard too especially with all the holidays & all that wonderful food, but do what you can! Remember to read your labels & if something is available in low-sodium or no salt added then go for that!

I am scheduled for my 3-month Echo on Tuesday of this coming week so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Stay well my friend!

I meant to say: I am going for my 6-month Echo to see how my mitral is holding up.

Eva,
Glad your report was a good one !
I'm sure doctor's are diffierent. I had a echo at 4 weeks post (BAV) replacement(nov.5, 2008) and will have another at 4 months. Also, have had 3 pacemaker checks since having total heart block after (BAV) replacement surgery.
As for the fluid problems I too have had that problem. They put me on Lasic (sp?) 40mg
a day, but still have problems.
I too, try and stay away from the salt (agree can be hard when eatting out) and sat. fat
and sugar (although I've been away from refined sugar for about 6 years now... does get easier as time goes by)
Hope you continue to have a Blessed Christmas and New Year !!!

c terra
(BAV) replaced ....Nov.5, 2008
Metronic pacemaker...total heart block ...Nov. 12, 2008
Leaking Mitral valve ...watching
recovery....Dec. 2008 .........

I was concerned too because they did not do an echo on me either. They finally did one a little before 1 year mark at my insistance. I wanted to make sure all ok too. They did the echo and everything was fine. Good to hear you have a good report.

Thanks, Deb, for resurfacing this thread up...I feel somehow lost these weeks...I did not realzie there were more replies...so, thanks to you and I am happy for your good news.

Thanks to Norma, as usual, uplifting messages
Thanks to Deb for your good wishes
and Thanks to C Terra. Now when I eat out and I know it is salty, I do take a dieuretic (with doctor's approval).
And Woodbutcher, I hope you are doing better and improving every day.

Happy New year to all, may 2009 brings all of us the good health we wish.:)

Latest posts

Back