3 month post op check up

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markp66

Hi all

I had a 3 month post op check up on valentines day (as goods a day as any to get your heart checked I guess..) and everything is great. My cardio said my heart has looked better than it has done for many years. They managed to get a bigger mechanical valve in than the failed tissue valve and it has done the job. My heart pretty much looks normal again (despite me putting on lots of weight and not doing enough exercise!). They also did an INR check and it was 1.9 which is 0.1 out of range. Within the last 3 months my INR has been 2.5,2.3, 2.2 and 1.9, I'm guessing it's getting lower as I'm becoming a lot more active.

They also gave me a INR home monitor with the appropriate training so all good there. Testing strips and lancets also covered by the NHS (amazing!). They said that this will enable me to keep my range within 2-2.5 instead of 2-3 and want me to monitor every 2 weeks. They said doing it weekly is not really any more of an advantage and can actually be counter productive if the dosage is constantly being changed.

My blood pressure has been relatively high post surgery, around 140/80 so we both agreed that this should be lower. My cardio recommended losartan (cozaar) as she thinks this is the best medication for someone of my age. Apparently it may also prevent aortic aneurysms which isn't a bad thing especially after having valve+root replaced. Anyone been on this? Apparently it also has little effect on INR. She also said that Losartan can also make people feel better (more alert and improved memory)Hopefully with more exercise, healthy eating and medication this should bring it down dramatically.

I also said although I don't mind the ticking, it's a slight annoyance. She hopes reducing the blood pressure, heart rate and with more time this will be much more quiet. It's more the thumping than the ticking which is probably due to having a higher bp. My heart has had to work harder than most peoples over the last 20 years so it's bound to be pumping out with a higher pressure. I have felt a gradual reduction in this sound over the weeks.

After saying I didn't wan't another operation like this EVER again they said there are no guarantees but having a mechanical valve greatly reduces this risk and the main risk of reops can be controlled (infections, valve thrombosis).

I have to have an MRI in 6 months and from then on hopefully it will be an annual visit from then on.

Congrats Mark. Glad to hear everything is going well, if not better!

Hopefully if another surgery is nessecary, by the time it's needed technology will have advanced even more, who knows?

Once again, awesome that everything is going smoothe.

Thanks, Yes, lets hope I won't need anymore surgery but like you said, things are moving forward very quick!

Sounds good... Skyler had his 3mo post-op yesterday too!

Now my only concern is why the weight gain? Exercise and good diet go a long way towards controlling blood pressure. I hope the new meds help with the clicking. We (Skyler included), personally find the clicking really neat. It's only as loud as a wrist-watch so not very annoying. He didn't get an Echo, but will at his next appointment in another 3 months.

great, glad all is well. I think the 3 month checkup is always a positive as that is the period where lots can go wrong- infections, valve leaks etc. I was scared as hell before my checkup and my heart rate went up to 108 (normally 75-80!). Weight gain is because I was very active before my surgery (running everyday etc), then we had christmas (too much chocolate) and since then I'm getting back into shape and it's gradually coming down. My BMI is still within normal range. I'm trying to get fit slowly as I don't want any sudden changes in INR etc.
I don't really mind the clicking, it's more the thumping (again, this is slowly decreasing..!) because the heart still thinks the valve is rubbish. As my heart muscle has decreased this has become less of a problem.
Glad Skyler is doing well, it's been easier than I thought with a mechanical valve. Hopefully it wil stay that way!

That all sounds pretty good, Mark. I had a 2.4 this week myself, also .1 low, but gee, I DID eat a pot load of beet tops and cabbage in the 3 days prior to testing. Duh. Mine's an abberation, but sounds like yours is because you are getting back to your activity, as you suspect, and may need an adjustment soon. Good for you for getting back in shape!

I heard my valve(s) this morning for the first time in weeks and weeks (ummm, it's warmer today, and I'm not wearing LAYERS). It was amusing. But after my MVR, the ticking made me nuts for about 6 months. And I had some of that thumping with the AVR, but that has settled down, too - although I can feel it when I inhale and hold my breath.
Sounds like you are....NORMAL! Which is a truly lovely word.

Good news -- I too am in for my first follow-up since I saw my cardio a month out from my surgery, making mine a 'four month' visit next week. My valve clicks pretty loud sometimes, but I like to hear it - good to know it's working.

I'm on Lostartan, my consultant put me on it after my OHS to stop my heart from beating too hard and to keep my blood pressure lower, hasn't done me any harm :)
Where abouts in the UK you treated?
Glad to hear your doing well :)
Love Sarah xxxx

Latest posts

Back