2nd opinion...results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EireCara

Hi everyone,

Some of you may remember that a few months ago my EP prescribed fleicanide (tambacor) for my VT. I also get a.fib, but he said the fleicanide was for the VT. For some reason, my gut instinct was NOT to take the fleicanide which I couldnt get past even though I desperately want to feel better.

A few weeks ago, I got so tired of my cardio and gp, family and friends, telling me to take the fleicanide that I went privately to see a cardiologist for a second opinion. I made up my mind that if he told me the fleicanide was safe 'FOR ME' then I would definately take it.

Long story short(ish) in his office after examination, he told me that he woud not prescribe fleicanide for me, and on friday I got a copy of his report to my gp which said that on the ecg he did that day, that I have 'long qt' and I should NOT take ANY type of antiarrhythmic medications, as they can cause the qt intervil to be longer. In other words cause long and dangerous pauses in hb.

The funny thing is that in 2005 I had to stop taking amioadrone because it was causing my heart to pause. At the time I didnt understand what was happening and of course noone explained it to me.

Where do I go from here? Im not sure, but if I had little faith in my health care providers before, I can tell you I have zero faith in them now.

I guess reading this, the obvious thing would be to stick with the cardio I went to for the second opinion, but unfortunately I cannot afford to !

Bina, I agree, but you would expect that they can all read an ecg correctly. Now I am worried about my son Thomas, as he passed out with an arrhythmia about 2 years ago and still has a lot of arrhythmia now even though he takes a betablocker. Did they miss something on his ecg ?????????? He will be going to collage soon....yikes.

Jacqui, Well, I'm glad that you were at least able to go and obtain a second opinion. Did he not follow through and suggest any treatment for this or how best to help you with your situation? Don't most people with long QT need an ICD?

Have you done a search of long qt and flecinaide(sp)? It doesn't seem that it is always conterindicated in the treatment of long qt. In fact, several things I read seemed to suggest that it was helpful in certain types of long qt syndrome.

Can you get your GP to refer you to a cardio in Dublin? I would think a bigger city would have cardios with more experience in treating people like you. Whatever you do, I think you have to do something.

Kim

Hi Kim, The ep I see is at a hospital in Dublin (St. James). It was he who prescribed fleicanide initially, and now is talking about multaq (dronadrone).

I have done some reading on long qt. Here is a link (If I can manage this) you may also be interested in. By the way, how has your arrhythmia been ?

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/157826-followup

Kim, check out this portion of the article: Drugs that Prolong the Qt Interval and/or Induce Torsades de Pointes Ventricular Arrhythmia.

Latest posts

Back