25 years

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas999

Just had my annual checkup stress test with echo-cardigram which turned out good. It has been 25 years this past december since I had 5" of ascending aorta replaced along with the aortic valve. For those of you tentative over your surgery, which is normal, good results and longevity are a reality. I have a St. Jude aortic valve, and I can hear it operating as I type this. I have participated in activities like softball, extensive traveling, and worked as an electrician for all of the 25 years. I just retired this past september and pretty much do what I want to do, within reason.

Congrats Thomas....I love the long-term success stories. My new life begins March 18, 2013. I am having an AVR and aorta repair. It's an ON-X Valve and graft for me. Although at the University of Pennsylvania my entire procedure is known as "Mechanical Composite Root Replacement and Hemiarch Repair.:thumbup:

What a great post! Congratulations on your 25th. It is always encouraging for newbies (and not so newbies) to read these inspirational stories.
Happy 25th~ Wishing you many more...

Congratulations. I, too, was very excited when I reached my 25th. This June, I will celebrate my 33rd! I was just a kiddo (18) when I received my Bjork-SHiley mitral valve at the may clinic.

Hi, Thomas!

25 years! That's an accomplishment, but not surprising. You have the "Gold Standard" valve for younger patients (as you were when it was implanted). You've taken care of yourself and your valve and proven that valve replacement surgery is sort of like getting a new life. Thanks for posting - you are yet another great example for those still in The Waiting Room.

Pull up a chair and stay a while. Visit us often - you're always welcome here.

Congratulations on # 25! It is very reassuring to read replacement valve longevity posts such as yours, aliceann's and dick0236's! Best wishes for at least 25 years or more of nonstop ticking.:smile2:
Mary

Congratulations on your 25th, Thomas!

Stories such as yours are inspirational and so valuable to those waiting in line to have this life-saving surgery!

Here's wishing you many, many more anniversaries! :)

Add my congrats and thanks for posting this great news. Always good to hear about those who have had good sucess for us who are just starting down the same path.

I am going to update my anniversary years to 29 years now. I just had my annual EKG and echocardiogram and my EKG looks very good I haven't got the results back from the echo yet but have a good feeling about it as well. I am 62 now and go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week and feel good while mildly exercising. I also play a lot of golf in the summer and also like to garden as well. I also enjoy feeding the birds and squirrels in the winter time and have counted over 25 species of birds so far.

My anniversary is 29 years now. I just had my annual EKG and echocardiogram and my EKG looks very good I haven't got the results back from the echo yet but have a good feeling about it as well. I am 62 now and go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week and feel good while mildly exercising. I also play a lot of golf in the summer and also like to garden as well. I also enjoy feeding the birds and squirrels in the winter time and have counted over 25 species of birds so far.

Good for you Thomas.
There is no reason you won't be going to the gym and playing golf years from now.......I still do. I also enjoy feeding the birds but the squirrels drive me nuts.....they can really chow down on birdsead, especially Black Oilers. I wish you many more years with your St. Jude.

thomas999;n871871 said:
My anniversary is 29 years now. I just had my annual EKG and echocardiogram and my EKG looks very good I haven't got the results back from the echo yet but have a good feeling about it as well. I am 62 now and go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week and feel good while mildly exercising. I also play a lot of golf in the summer and also like to garden as well. I also enjoy feeding the birds and squirrels in the winter time and have counted over 25 species of birds so far.

Congrats! Thanks for posting -- it IS reassuring to hear about long term success! Here's wishing you many more healthy and happy years!

Now -- how on Earth did you manage to retire by 58? I'm told I can't collect my pension until I'm 67! Are you one of those Baby Boomers?

Latest posts

Back