2 Weeks Post AVR Sore Shoulders and Neck

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vincent63

looking for some advice ... if anyone has ever had the same issue. I am just over two weeks post op and making really good recovery. At this time I am managing 2 * 25 to 30 minute walks per day (total of about 2.5 miles) and I am sleeping in my own bed and have been since day 1 of doing home. However in last 48 hours my shoulders and neck are very stiff and sore. I am on Tramadol and Paracetamol 4 times a day which massively helps all the other pain and I will keep at these probably for a couple of weeks yet. Due to discomfort I sleep on my side, turning about three to four times a night. I have just started some very gentle shoulder exercises. Any thoughts or advice very welcome. Vincent

Hi, Vincent, and welcome back to life!

Many of us have had back, shoulder or arm pain issues in the weeks after valve surgery. We think this is because of the strange positions the docs often move us into in order to have the best access to their workspace in our chest cavities. I had shoulder and neck pain for a long time after surgery, and even now, 4 1/2 years post-op, my shoulders and neck are the first places I feel it whenever I over-do any work or exercise activity. I guess that at my "advancing age" (now 67 and counting), some aches and pains are to be expected, but mine became much worse abruptly after the surgery.

I have tried over-the-counter pain meds with mixed results. If it gets really bad, I take them for relief, but I do not want to be taking these for the long term. I have had some physical therapy (diagnosed for other reasons, like auto accident injuries) and found that some stretching exercises do help over time -- but I would advise you to wait to start any of these until your body heals from the "insult" of surgery.

Unfortunately, your experience is pretty normal. That doesn't relieve it, but at least you know that you're not alone.

I had it occasionally for awhile. It felt almost like lactic acid burn which you can get when working out. Would hit me then go away for no apparent reason.

Hi Vincent - I had the same, and like Steve says, it appears to be due to the positions they put you in to access your heart. Time is the only healer I know/knew. I had dreadful side effects from Tramadol and dihydrocodeine I was put on after ICU, plus I found that I undoutedly lack the enzyme needed for them to work effectively which was why I had pain as well as side effects ! I stopped all pain meds due to severe side effects at one week post op and it was pretty awful. (when I have a re-do one day I will be kept on morphine which works for me). If you can take ibuprofen that might help ? I wasn't allowed to take that due to history of duodenal ulcer. The walking and moving should help a bit...…but time is the biggest healer. I know that's not much use…..but it does get better.

Good job on the walking. :) my back hurt after surgery, and then I started getting bad spasms between my shoulder blades about 1 week post op, and sadly I still get them. They are more infrequent, now. Maybe once a month or even two months sometimes. The only thing I found to work was meditation. I literally lay on the floor and try to be as still as possible, and focus on breathing. Otherwise for me the pain was so intense I'd panic. Keeping good mobility in those areas is helpful too. Good luck. Hope you find relief. :)

Hi Vincent--after my first AVR, I decided I was hunching protectively when I walked around. It helped a little to try to relax. Also one of those moist heat things you heat in the microwave helped (until my dog ate it!). I think mine was called "Bed Buddy", from drugstore.

This is too late for you, but in case anyone reading this has surgery in the future...I think the back strengthening exercises in my Pilates class helped, because I didn't have back pain after the 2d AVR.

Best wishes for relief soon!

thanks for all the comments ... it is actually a relief to know that this is normal rather than something wrong ... Last night I felt like I had been kicked by a horse in the chest and was short of breath etc today so went to the doctor and he confirmed everything is OK ...but is sending me for a chest X-ray in any case. I really appreciate all the great advice on here.

Vincent63;n857115 said:
tLast night I felt like I had been kicked by a horse in the chest and was short of breath etc today so went to the doctor and he confirmed everything is OK .
When I had an appointment with my cardiologist four weeks post op and was frustrated with the pain etc, he said having heart surgery with your sternum cut and all that was like being hit by a car. They don't tell you that before surgery do they !

The back pain is normal! Think about what are first instinct is after heart surgery - to avoid pain, right? We know if we move in a certain way, there WILL be pain, so we limit our movement, causing muscles to constrict and be tense. We turn in toward the injury (sternum),curling up to protect it from further injury. We're limited by the positions we can sleep in the first several weeks after surgery, combined with recovery makes for many MANY sleepless and/or uncomfortable nights. WELL HERE IS WHAT MY PHYSICAL THERAPIST TOLD ME.....and my back pain went away, so I guess he's kinda smart that way.

FIRST, when you are standing and walking, use the most excellent posture you can! I'm talking chin up, shoulders back, spine as straight as you can bear. And really concentrate on standing straight. That uses our core muscles, the ones we rely on for most of our movement. Of course, if it hurts, don't do it! But maybe try for a little straighter the next day.

SECOND, you better be supporting that big fat heavy head of yours! The human head is heavy - like, bowling ball heavy - and the muscles used to support the head run about halfway down your back. So all that time you're in the recliner, you're using those muscles to hold your head up. Pre-surgery it wasn't a big deal, but now? You're wearing out the muscles when you need the energy for more important stuff. Grab a travel pillow, or a rolled up towel or t-shirt - anything! and support your head. See if you can do this while you're sleeping, also.

LAST - Since sleeping flat or side isn't really an option for a while, you need to support your shoulders also, while you're sleeping. Your muscles really need time to relax (without Tramadol!). Try cramming a bed pillow under your upper arms at night. This will help your shoulder muscles relax.

Disclaimer: I am just a school bus driver who went through AVR. I am paraphrasing what my PT told me on my 2nd day home from the hospital. My first 24 hours home were excruciating (except for the shower. That was great!.) When the guy gave me those instructions, my upper back pain was cut in half instantly - seriosuly, the second I stood up straight my muscles screamed at me, "THANK YOU!" lol

I used Tramadol for a sciatic nerve muscle pinch - didn't help at all.

Even today, 17 months later, if I have back aches I stretch up straight and tall and open up my chest area,

I hope this advice helps you a little. keep walking, resting, walking, breathing, walking, resting.....
-Meredith :Smile:

Latest posts

Back