2 week update after AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T in YVR

I am now at the 2 week mark since my aortic valve replacement. Overall its gone well and I definitely feel better each day. Some many basic tasks are easier to do now (like putting on socks!). Here's some observations after 2 weeks -

Pain:

I still get a fair bit of pain - especially in the shoulders and back. I have 1 spot that is about 1.5" in diameter just to the left of my scar and near my heart - and it hurts like hell when I cough. Pain goes from 0 to 10 and lasts about 15 minutes before subsiding.

The pain moves around my upper torso/neck quite a bit - what hurts one day is great the next and vice versa. Lately it feels like mainly stiffness and a general lack of mobility/flexibility. I get some tightness when I breath.

I had 2.5 days of on/off crazy migraines that have just started to subside. I never get headaches, so am not really used to it. A searing pain through my right temple/ear. I went to the hospital and got it checked out and all was ok.

From Day 8 onwards I have been on Tylenol with Codeine and Tylenol Regular (325mg) 2 or 3x per day depending on how I feel.

Sleeping:

Days are great; I dread night time. Just can't get comfortable and usually wake up/get up 3x. Unlike some people I have had no night sweats, no crazy dreams, etc. Just some achiness

Exercise:

I have been doing 1.5 kms/day since I got home a week ago. However, I did 4.5 kms today (straight) and felt fine. Hopefully I don't pay for it tonight.

I was doing a fair bit of stretching and I think this is what stirred up the migraines. I think I overdid it in my neck/shoulders. I have backed off a bit.

INR Levels:

It took a while for me to get in my range (2.0-3.0). I was taking 7.5mg daily and that seemed to keep me at 2.2-2.4. However, I had my INR checked yesterday and in 3 days times it went from 2.2 up to 3.7!! The doctor back me down to 5mg and I get tested tomorrow. I was a bit freaked out but they told me not to worry at this stage. My diet has improved since I got home, but I didn't do anything crazy in terms of what I ate to drive it up that much.

Take note of your posture while you are standing and walking T in YVR. Take note on where you are holding your head, neck and shoulders are, improper posture could be causing some of your discomfort. While walking make sure your shoulders are are square with your hips, head and neck are straight and slowly and lightly push your shoulders back and downward - hold for about 5sec or 10 steps, relax then repeat. You should feel the stretch in the neck, but don't push it to hard......be gentle.

Around the 4 week stage look into getting a light neck/shoulder massage....it will feel wonderful.

Good to hear from you and take care

Thanks Freddie - I think that may be part of it when I am sleeping at night. Pain is greatest when I wake up and then subsides once I am moving. Still need to find the right sleeping position. I think it is a pinched nerve type of thing vs. true migraine. Definitely looking into the massage....

It's fairly typical for the INR to be unstable at first. Mine jumped around a bit and went up to 3.3 for apparently no reason. Been steady since then.

Nights can be tough. Hang in there, it gets better.

T - be careful if you suspect nerve involvement. I had some nagging lower back pain a couple of months ago. My wife, with all good intentions, gifted me with a chair-massage while we were on vacation visiting our daughter. The masseuse worked very deeply into my lower back muscles. That night I had the worst pinched-nerve pain of my life, and ended up in the ER the next morning for X-rays and evaluation. I spent the next couple of days in a medication-induced fog, as the only thing they could do for me was to prescribe opiate pain relievers and muscle relaxants.

Not saying that a gentle massage couldn't help, but be careful and if it hurts, stop. I'm still in physical therapy for my back. The various stretches help, and staying in motion helps even more.

T -- I think your back/neck/shoulder pain is pretty par for the course given what contortions they put you through during the surgery. I found massages did help, but I told the therapist to g easy.

Here's my two cents on sleep: try not to think about it as day v. night. Think about it as naps. Some naps happen when the sun is up. Other naps happen when the sun is down. If you have 4-5 naps during a 24 hour period, you'll feel pretty good. Then, within a very short time (say 3 weeks post-op) your nighttime naps will get longer and the system will sort itself out again.

Took me 7 week till I could get back to my preferred sleeping habits (on my stomach). My upper back between my neck and my shoulder have finally went away after 5 months since surgery. I even forgot my 5 month anniversary from AVR till I went to bed that night. So time is your friend. Feel pretty normal now just a little sore around the scar still. Better every day! I did the deep tissue massage 2 months out from surgery and it helped me a lot!

Latest posts

Back