2 month update....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mom2izzy

So this is where I am in my recovery/life 2 months post mitral valve repair surgery by mini sternotomy:

- I still have some pain in my back at times. I may be more susceptible to this because of a fall I took a few years ago. Nothing was broken, but it still took about 6 months before it felt good again. Massage seems to help more than anything else, and it's not even bad enough to warrant meds most of the time. And that is my ONE complaint!

-started back to work yesterday. It wasn't really good or bad. It was work. I glad that I didn't go back at 5 weeks when my surgeon said I could. I said I wasn't ready and they listened. Up until 5 weeks I feel like I was physically recovering, but my mental recovery came AFTER the surgeon deemed my surgery a success and released me. Prior to that I was still having anxiety issues, a hard time focussing on anything, and difficulty sleeping which resulted in low energy. If you have the option...take the time.

- I'm about 1/2 way through 6 weeks of rehab. It is good in that it gives me the confidence to exercise harder than I might ony own, but my rehab is not used to dealing with valve patients. They treat me like a bypass patient, so I have to take some of their words with a grain of salt. I'm also walking on my own...3.5 miles in under an hour on Sunday. I've been preparing for a 5K walk coming up on May 12. I think I'm ready!

- saw my cardio for the first time since surgery last week. He said to come back in 6 months for a "social visit" because I won't really need him anymore now that I'm "fixed". I asked about being taken offhand meds then (25mg Metoprolol)...he thought since it was such a small dose that he may like me to stay on it indefinitely. I'm not super keen on that idea, but don't seem to have side effects. We'll talk more about that in 6 months.

So to sum it up I feel pretty darn normal! The only change is that my priorities have been readjusted a bit...maybe a little like people who go through a "near death" experience, but I don't count that as a bad change! :)

Hope everyone else is doing great and for those of you still waiting...you'll be here one day too!

You sound GREAT! You are right about the rehab people not knowing what to do about valvers. We are different. A little more trauma IMHO, but a little less issues with heart rate. And no graft site to worry with.
And the back/shoulder ache - that can last for months, due to being positioned like a roast turkey on the table. Meh. heating pads and massage are good.
The BP med won't hurt, and reducing a little of the burden on the heart is a good thing, so long as you don't suffer side effects. Just watch out when it gets hot and humid outside - let your doctor know if that makes you dizzy/extra tired. That could be the meds.

You'll still need to check in with your cardio at least annually, just because.

Congratulations on your recovery.

I agree with Laurie, it sounds like you are doing very well. My experience with Cardiac Rehab was similar to your own. I found it to be very helpful overall but as you said most of the patients there were bypass patients who by and large had many unhealthy habits. One fellow quit my group because the nurse in charge would not permit him a "smoke break". Still the exercise is helpful and it was good to have a group of recovering OHS patients with whom to chat.

I must also say that I also feel a somewhat different sense of the importance of things. How could we not? We now live in a different context and contemplate a future that we had not imagined for ourselves. I am glad to hear that for you it is a better future.

Larry

WOOHOO! Glad to hear you are doing so well! Just two months ago you were so worried and stressed. Do you feel better than pre surgery?

I was asymptomatic pre-surgery, so I can't really say I feel "better", but I don't feel worse either.

Scar has gone from red to pink. It's very flat and skinny. If I wear the right bra it mostly hides in cleavage. HA HA! You guys have your chest hair as camouflage...we girls can hide it too :)

Although there is something I didn't think to mention...my shape seems to be different. My boobs seem smaller but my rib cage seems larger around. And I'm carrying all of my extra weight (~10 lbs.) in my belly now...it used to hang out on my hips and thighs. Is that possible?

Once my chest fur grows out fully, this scar will be fully hidden. Thanks for the visual by the way :angel:

I think the weight repositioning is possible with activity/diet change and flight or fight mode that your body goes through post surgery. Basically, our body will eat up a bunch of muscle and even some fat post surgery from places that we do not even expect. I lost some weight post surgery and about 10lbs of muscle have left me as a part of that weight loss. My upper body has gotten smaller and my gut which was hidden by fairly large shoulders and pecks is much more visible now ;) Talk about things looking in or out of proportion.

Still, it is great to hear that you are doing well. Once your rehab is over, or if you choose to do it sooner, get back in the gym and that litte bit of belly will be gone in about 8 weeks, assuming 1lb per week loss. Or you can do early morning fasted speed walks daily, whatever fits your schedule will make difference, I promise.

I wouldn't worry about the shape changes. I would guess it has a lot to do the drop in your activity level. I'm sure as you get more into your normal routine your body will get more into it's normal shape.

I'm in the same boat just like Vadim.

And by the way. I don't think we've seen your scare on the Tawdry shirt section. Get out the camera and have some fun.

Glad your doing well.

Gary

I have scar pictures...1week, 1 month, and 2 months. I also have one showing the "hidden" scar trick. Only one problem, I can't figure out how to post them from my phone...might have to wait until I drag out the computer...ugh...reminds me of work. I've only been back for one week, but I'm already getting buried!

I got the pics on Flickr, but still can't get them in a forum post. I'm either technologically challenged or there's not a good way to do it from my phone... I'd be happy to send them to someone with more skills if you guys are really interested...just let me know.

Latest posts

Back