13 Years

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkU

Actually, my anniversary was yesterday on the 15th. By this time on the 16th they had me sitting up on the side of the bed in ICU.

The "highlight" of my day was the surgeon coming in to remove, i.e, yank out, my drain tubes. Without a doubt the worst part of the entire experience.

I am ever so thankful to still be here and be able to lead a full and active life. But this year I'm a bit meloncholy about losing Ross. And I a have a high school friend with pancreatic cancer who may not see the new year.

A lot of mixed feelings this year.

Mark

The "highlight" of my day was the surgeon coming in to remove, i.e, yank out, my drain tubes. Without a doubt the worst part of the entire experience.

Mark

Congrats Mark and wishing you many more years. Your statement above, makes me laugh and cringe at the same time. The "tube removal thing" remains very much in my memory....even after all these years. I don't see many post about it anymore, so maybe they have figured out how to get them out without all the pain. I think that's why I haven't had a re-op......my body keeps telling me it ain't gonna go thru that again.

Congrats Mark and wishing you many more years. Your statement above, makes me laugh and cringe at the same time. The "tube removal thing" remains very much in my memory....even after all these years. I don't see many post about it anymore, so maybe they have figured out how to get them out without all the pain. I think that's why I haven't had a re-op......my body keeps telling me it ain't gonna go thru that again.

Congrats, Mark.

I also remember the chest tube removal. It was about the most painful part of recovery. I have a friend who's a surgical nurse, who also had his aortic valve replaced a few years after mine. He said that they used a flexible plastic tube rather than the type I had and said the pain was almost nonexistent. Live and learn!

Congratulations, Mark, and thanks for being one of us. You were one of my "idols" when I was first diagnosed - since you had valve replacement and continued on as a competitive athlete. With that example, I was able to make it through surgery and recovery and now lead a life every bit as full as before.

I know what you're feeling about the loss of friends, including Ross. I, too, have lost a couple of long-time friends this past year, and it serves as yet another reminder of our own mortality. We should, however, count ourselves as lucky to have had these friends while they were here.

Congratulations and may you have many more. Remember what Dr. Suess says, "don't be sad the party is ending or over, be happy you were invited." :)

Latest posts

Back