13 week post-op appointment

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SusQ

Hubby had a follow-up appointment today and, with the exception of an unexplained missing screw in the sternal plate closest to his neck that has left him able to feel one of the wings of the plate (which is driving him crazy), all is well. He's been given the go to:

1. Get back to scuba diving as he feels ready;
2. To begin lifting more at work (though moving the live animals is probably going to take him a year to build up any stamina);
3. Begin weaning off the Atenolol.

I've got to say Dr. Steven Gerndt in Green Bay, Wisconsin, with whom we've done all follow up, has been fantastic. It's been a world of difference working with his office than with Dr. McGee and Bluhm Cardiovascular in Chicago.

If the sternal plate still bothers him in 6 months, Dr. Gerndt will put him under and remove it if he wishes, but he wanted him to try to ignore it as much as possible and see if he can just live with it. NO CLUE as to why there is a screw missing as Bluhm has stopped responding to any requests for, well, anything. I'm so disappointed with their lack of follow up/communication. We had issues with it prior to surgery, but it's just gotten worse. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess. Sad.

Unless there's an issue, hubby's next appointment will be an echo in five years.

Hope all is well with everyone else.

Wow, given the go a head to resume scuba is beyond awesome.

I am surprised that he's not scheduled for an echo sooner. Any chance you meant months instead of years?

I hope he can tolerate the plate. No explanation for the missing screw looks to me like an effort to duck responsibility.

Best wishes going forward.

glad things are going pretty good so far, I know you guys had a few bumps along the way, hopefully all that is behind you now. why did buck end up with sternal plates? I'm a little confused about the next appt being in 5 Years too.
hope you can get scuba diving soon, you both deserve a nice relaxing time

He ended up with plates as a complete surprise to us. We had inquired about them pre-op but were told.they wouldn't use them. Then post op were told he did use them. But apparently only half-assed. No wonder they had problems with them...things don't function properly if you only install them partially. Just like computers....garbage in, garbage out.

No, its definitely years on the echo unless his doc hears something/we request one. He had one last week in preparation for this appointment. Due to where we live, he will see his PCP unless there's an issue.

Last edited:
I believe I would request his records from the surgeon's office if you haven't done so already. You have a right to have them. Also, did you/your new cardio get a copy of the surgical report? Someone should have and if not, getting that may shed some light on the sternal plate and #of screws used.

I know if I wouldn't be too comfortable with an echo every 5 years. Maybe, and that's a big maybe, I might be talked into every other year, but not more than that.

Kim

Latest posts

Back