12 week check up

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

I was feeling tired and lightheaded and at times a bit dizzy over the last few weeks or so. I went to the doctor and he ordered some blood work and an EKG.

I am now 12 weeks post-op and the EKG and the blood work came back normal.

It would appear that it is not the valve, so much as it is me just being a lazy puke.

The doctor said there was no surgical help for that. So I took the dog for a walk tonight, and I feel pretty good. I have my follow up with my Cardiologist mid May.

Any way, 12 weeks on this side of the knife and all is well.

Rocky - I'm glad you're doing so well. Give it time - I'm only at 7 weeks post op, and things are going well, just not as quickly as I had hoped. My docs all say as long as you are progressing and feeling better over time, that's good.

Glad to hear all is well with you.

Walking is such a huge benefit to healing from this surgery and maintaining general good health. Walking your dog daily will be great for both of you. :)

Hope you continue to do well.

Hey Rocky,
I see we had surgery at the same hospital, glad to hear things are getting better.
It is tough to get motivated with shitty weather and post sugery after shocks filling the mind with what just happened to our bodies. I try to get out for a walk every evening and dress warm if its cold out. The ice on the side walks and roads concerns me at times and my dog is like a mop so he needs a wash afterwards but I try to do it as a routine. Now trying to get my wife to come along is another story, she is working all day so I give her a break now an then...hehe

Hi Rocky, in your post you make it sound that it was the first time you have gone for a walk since your ohs but I know that can't be right. But if you haven't been walking all that much, this could be why you feel sluggish. I'm 12 weeks post-op and have been walking at least 30-45 minutes every day since week 5 and shorter walks before that. Walking is probably the best thing you can do at this stage, get those lungs pumping some freshly oxygenated blood back into your heart/body/head for energy. It's never to late to use the spyrometer for exercising the lungs, it does a load of good. I still use mine now and then. Five puffs in a row, few times a day. Glad to hear that your tests came back ok.

Hi Rocky, in your post you make it sound that it was the first time you have gone for a walk since your ohs but I know that can't be right...... Glad to hear that your tests came back ok.

I have been pretty active right from the first day I got to the ward. If anything, too much. I started walking right away, and then got on my bycycle. And I have been back at work for two months now. There is a lot of walking there. I did slow down a bit over the last two weeks due to feeling "off". That was the reason for the EKG, but now we see it is probably just the meds, so it is mostly motivation that I need right now. Bear, my dog, gives that to me.

And thanks to all for the positive thoughts from everyone.

A short story.

It was about 4:45 am when I was on my way to the Mazankowski for my surgery appointment. When we where crossing the river I could see a full moon to the right. It was a good omen.

I went through the surgery prep and was waiting for them to come take me to the surgery room for a bit. My daughter was sitting with me. I was very calm, resolved in the fact that I was in excellent hands.

The nurse came to get me and wheeled me into the surgery and there was music playing. I said "Cool, tunes". One of the people in the room asked me if I would like them turned off. I said no, it sounded great. He asked me if I had a request. I said " you got any Pink Floyd?" He said sure and asked me what I wanted.

I said "Dark Side of the Moon". He said you bet and put it on over the speakers.

The last thing I remember before I went under was hearing

"Home, home again.
I like to be here when I can"

Rocky: And when I come cold and tired, It's good to warm my bones beside the fire (from Time of course, probably one of my favorite songs). Wow, all I can say is good choice of tunes. I love Pink Floyd. Saw Roger Waters in Ottawa couple few years ago, awesome.
You state you've been at work for two months now and you're only 12 weeks post-op? You went back to work after only 4 weeks of OHS?? Am I missing something here? You may have reason right there for feeling "off". Did your surgeon only approve of 4 weeks off work? I thought the standard was 12 weeks minimum.

Marie,
The waiting period before returning to work is different for folks in various circumstances. I work at a management job in an office, with no real physical demands other than sitting in a chair and thinking. My surgeon approved my return to work after 4 weeks, but I started at only 2-3 hours/day. I am now 7.5 weeks post-op and am working about 4 hours/day. My cardio suggests waiting about 10 weeks before considering full-time work, but that is about when I will likely start rehab, so I may only be working short days some days of the week for another couple of months.

So far, at 7.5 weeks, I am finally beginning to feel "like myself" and have a bit more energy. Not up to pre-surgery levels, of course, but I feel that I can finally enjoy life again.

epstns: I too held a management position for 26 years until the company downsized. I was under some amount of stress. Like the old saying, everything depends on the individual and how he manages his behavior. I tend to think everyone is under some sort of stress at work.
Stress is one thing my doctor told me that I didn't need during my post-op period.

You state you've been at work for two months now and you're only 12 weeks post-op? You went back to work after only 4 weeks of OHS?? Am I missing something here? You may have reason right there for feeling "off". Did your surgeon only approve of 4 weeks off work? I thought the standard was 12 weeks minimum.

Actually, I was back in the classroom teaching at 3 1/2 weeks and working the office.

I felt great for about 9 to 10 weeks and then started to feel "off". The doctor said the EKG and blood work shows normal so I am pretty sure it is the meds. Now that I know it is not the valve I will work as much as I feel comfortable doing, which will be 4 to 6 hrs a day.

You are right, the standard is 12 weeks before return to work. But I am sure that is an average. It will depend on the shape the individual is in before surgery and the motivation after.

I have a great staff, so they are picking up the pace so I don't have to.

Something I did not metion is that the surgeon said that except for the valve and a couple of inches of artery, my heart was in excellent health. I also am very physcially fit, do not smoke, do not drink and not overweight at all. I have a very healthy life style and eat well. I sleep excellent, exercise regulary and handle stress very well using breathing exercises I learned from a Sports Medicine psycologist who I spent a week with once learning how to cope with chronic pain.

I never considered myself sick and do not feel that I am recovering from open heart surgery. I am recovering from surgery, the heart is now fine.

Actually, my excellent health almost killed me. I was in such good shape, both physically and emotionally, that I thought I had a persistent cold which is all the symtoms showed, and then went to the doctor and found out I had congestive heart failure and was on deaths doorstep.

I believe I came back quicly, because I went in very healty. I do get tired, but no more than I did in November and December. Naps take care of that.

My doctor, my cardiologist and my surgeon do not believe that my return to normal is being rushed. Although I will admit that I am not a patient man and make a terrible patient. When I told my surgeon I was going back to work 3 1/2 weeks after surgery, he said "Of course you are".

Of course, I do not recomend to anyone anything other than what their doctors say.

Maybe Paul Simon said it best "One mans ceiling, is another mans floor"

Back