10 years yesterday!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy

I'm delighted to report that it has been 10 years since my mitral valve repair at Cleveland Clinic. I had a lot of complications at the time and needed a pacemaker afterwards. That was replaced last fall and I was able to go hiking in the Rockies 2 weeks later. I went back to work as a Special Education Teacher 8 months after surgery and retired this year after 40 years of teaching. I have never woken up one day since my surgery that I was not grateful for my health, despite the fact that it was a little shaky for the first two years.

I recall that I would read about other persons' recoveries and feel that they were making much more rapid progress than I was. Obviously, that had no bearing on my long term recovery, so I guess that is the most important lesson that I learned is not to compare my progress to anyone else's!

That is wonderful news and a great story to remind us that we are all different in terms of recovery. Your story is an inspiration for newbies and those of us not as far along.
Happy 10th!

Kathy - Nice to hear from you again. You were having surgery when I had been in The Waiting Room for just a while. I agree that those of us who have had some complications in recovery often feel that we've been "left behind" in the recovery process, but most of us are lucky enough that we catch up and have the same great quality of life as our faster-healing compatriots.

Happy 10th, and may you have many happy returns of the day!

Hi, Kathy!

Belated congratulations on your tenth anniversary! I can sense your true happiness and that you live the way we all strive to, with zest and gratitude for our "new" lives post-op.

Continued good health and positive spirit! You go, girl!

Latest posts

Back