10 Weeks Post - Op - How heavy of weights can I lift? Pushups okay?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll be able to lift heavy stuff again, but I remember seeing my cardiologist at about 9 weeks and she said it takes up to 6 months for the sternum to heal. It was in regard to sleeping on my side, and I didn't listen to her and started sleeping on my side again and now my sternum feels like it didn't not heal correctly. Anyways your sternum is not fully solid yet so I would definitely not do push ups. That is if they went through your sternum.

You should have received very specific advice on this prior to discharge. Please contact your cardiologist or the physical therapist who should have advised you in the hospital. For me, I think it was 5 lbs up to 8 weeks. Then it was lifted gradually over the succeeding few months. I was told clearly that after full recovery (something like 6 months) I would have NO exercise restrictions at all, period. Just what is safe for you when needs to be directed by your medical providers. But, off the cuff, 10 weeks would seem too early for pushups. Eventually you should be able to do whatever you want, but no one here can speak to your specific case.

Talk directly with your cardio about this one. At 10 weeks, you likely shouldn't lift much at all because your sternum's not ready for it, as Michelle notes. Be very easy with that area so that it heals nicely. In the future, though, your cardio could very likely tell you to do what you enjoy. In the meantime, be in good contact with your specific medical team about this one.

It took 6 months before I felt comfortable doing heavy lifting, pushing, stretching involving the sternum. My regular car has power steering so I had no problem using it after the 6 week's probation on driving. I also have an old truck without power steering so I inadvertently used it one day after about 2 months....boy did that hurt and continued to hurt for about 2 weeks, so I did some temporary damage. After 6 months I could use the truck without feeling any discomfort...

Latest posts

Back