10 Week Update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg~

I'm now at 10 weeks post op and feeling awesome. I'm walking 4 miles twice a day and going to cardio rehab. I've slowly incorporated jogging into my walks and it really feels good to work it. At about 6 weeks post op, my cardio had me on a holter monitor for 24 hours and noticed PVC's, but he said they weren't an issue and that was that.
When I went to cardio rehab the nurses noticed them too and I told them the cardio already weighed in and they're not a problem. So at the end of each workout I ask to review my rehab results and I could see the PVC's too. But what’s interesting is they're not consistent and I'm asymptomatic. They'll show up during the middle of the stationary bike and then disappear. Or during the treadmill, then disappear.
So I decided to take the results to my cardio for his review. When he looked at the results he told me I should stop cardio rehab and just do moderate walks. When I asked him why, he said that due to my mechanical aortic valve, he doesn't want me to get light headed and pass out. Does this make any sense to anyone? Could it be that I'm just trying to hard to soon?

Congrats on the progress. What your cardiologist said makes no sense to me. If anything your mechanical valve has larger AVA than your original valve and with your newly acquired better heart function passing out would be the last thing someone should be concerned about. I hope someone can shed more light on this as it makes no sense to me. Especially, since you do 4 mile walks twice a day.

What is your time for those 4-milers? 1hr, 1hr 20 minutes, or 2 hours?

Thanks GymGuy. I hope someone can shead some light on this as well because it just doesnt make any sense to me. I really like my cardio, but after today I'm just not sure. The wait in his waiting room is about 2 hours and then when I finally do get to see him he's really rushed. I'm thinking of finding a new doctor

My speed is anywhere between 3.7 and 4.0 mph depending on the terrain. So it takes me 60 - 70 minutes to complete.

Yeah, your cariac output is great. 3.7-4mph is better than mere healthy humans do on average. Seek second opinion.

What you report your cardiologist said is certainly not very clear. My guess is that on the Holter recording he saw few PVCs, while on your exercise recordings there were more, perhaps in bursts and they may have had some other characteristiucs that concerned him. If he has made you wait 2 hours then rushed you before, I would not like that either. My cardiologist was running more than an hour behind last time, but he spent almost an hour with me answering all my questions patiently and in detail, giving up all of his lunch time. I owe him one.

At rehab they noted occasional PVCs in the report that went to my cardio as well. My cardio says everyone has PVCs, some notice it, others don't. Since I don't, he didn't consider it an issue worth talking about any more than that.

if your not happy get a 2nd opinion, but until you do listen to him, he is an expert after all,maybe not a good one but never the less still an expert,

Latest posts

Back