1 month post op and today found out I have pneumonia

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundsgirl

Hey gang,
I hope this finds you all doing well, or as best as can be expected. I haven't posted in a while. I sort of felt like a whimp, reading all the post on how great everyone was doing right out of or just days out of surgery and here I was one month out and still feeling like I had been hit by that train, and then beat with a baseball bat across my chest and back. For me it's been slow going; lots of pain with the muscle spasms etc. Then Mon I started feeling even worse, this really helped with the depression I have been dealing with, lol. Anyway, I thought I had caught a cold, but it was just getting worse each day, so I went to the ER today. After all their test, chest x-ray showed I have pneumonia in my right lung. Atleast that validated to some degree why I don't feel good yet. They ran antibodics IV, plus 2 by mouth, gave me 2 breathing treatments. Sent me home with a inhaler, 3 scripts, so hopefully things are about to turn around. I was wondering if it is common to catch this after OHS, by the way I took both the flu and pneumonia shots on the day I was released after my OHS, lol with that one huh.
I do want to send out my sincerest congrads. to all of those who have done so great after the surgery. I don't mean to sound negative if I did, I'm just frustrated I guess, I want to feel better and thought I would by now. But I still get tired easily, short of breath etc., still sleeping in recliner it's all getting old to be. I am ready to feel better.

Take care,
Lisa

had to respond

had to respond

Hi--I'm new to this site. This is my first time posting. I had a mitral valve replacement seven months ago. This was my second replacement, I had one ten years before that. I too have wondered about all the great sounding posts from everyone just out of OHS. Both times I had difficulty sleeping and severe depression. I also had back pain that was more pronounced this time.I was 34 years old the first time and 44 this time. All I can say is that it is normal and will get better.

Lisa, sorry to hear you're on a bumpy road. I understand your frustration as I was "surprised" by a major detour during my recovery. Everyone's recovery is different so while some have flawless recoveries, others of us have some bumps in the road. Please stay positive. My own experience was that once I passed over the short term bumps, my recovery went fine. Best wishes and and good luck.

Thanks you guys.
Jeeb1, glad you posted. I can relate to the sleep issues and as I said the depression. Believe it or not I can relate to the back pain, I was laying on my right side day 2 after OHS, I just can't lay flat on my back, I have a bulging disk laying on a nerve root, stenosis, arthritis, facet joint hypertrophy, etc. When the surgeon walked into the room he couldn't believe I was already on my side, but I told him there is no way I can lay flat on my back, even in the recliner I have to prop to the side with pillows behind me. Thanks again for taking the time to post.
Wayne, you still riding those bikes? Everytime I see you post and look at your picture it reminds me of my dad he loved to ride. I hope you are still enjoying it.

Thanks again guys, like I said I hesitated in posting in my news wasn't always good and so many seem like it was just a walk in the park for them, but for me it was more like getting my butt beat in the park, by a mean gang. HaHa; gotta laugh to keep from crying.
Take care

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Sorry to hear you are finding recovery a bit slow but please don't apologise for posting. As someone who has yet to have my surgery I want to hear the whole spectrum of experiences both the good and the not so good. That way which ever experience I have I will know that it is "normal" and that there are others on here I can relate to. I'm glad they were able to diagnose the pnuemonia - good luck with the recovery and hope you are feeling better soon - Jeanne

I'm sorry that you are having a less than stellar early recovery. Everyone is different, as has been said. It's okay to have a slow go of it. You are HERE, aren't you? That's the most important part.

I think the one huge thing so many of us learn with all this is that we just have to be patient and honor our bodies. Sometimes, for the very first time! It's hard to stop and listen when we're so used to pushing ourselves over and over.

The vast majority of us aren't all zippity-do-dah right away. Really!! It's a huge, uncomfortable ordeal. I'll bet you'll be feeling a lot better soon, now that the pneumonia was identified. If you are not....call those doctors and have them take a closer look. Sometimes our bodies get kinda mad at us for messing with them so harshly and they respond with a vengeance in some unexpected way.

Please take care and continue to post. We are here to support and listen to everyone!!

Best wishes.

Marguerite

best wishes

best wishes

Lisa,
sorry to hear that your not doing so well. I understand the depression, it must have something to do with being 39-40 years old and having to go through this sort of interruption in our lives.

Can I suggest that you keep a journal, find a goal every day, write it down and work toward that goal. Make them small at first and work up to something that you have wanted to do for a long time. Use your journal to track your goals. I know it sounds silly but it is important that we have goals and expectations that will get us through the days, weeks and months.
I look forward to hearing about your recoverin.

Tina

Lisa, so sorry to hear that you have had this big bump in the road, but praying that the scripts will bring relief and that you will soon be on your way to a stellar recovery. Hang in there and come vent whenever you feel up to it- we are always here to listen.

Hi Lisa

So sorry to hear you're not feeling better. The pneumonia can really wipe a person out.....I know from past experience. Coupled with recovering from ohs, you really are down and out, girlfriend!!!!

It WILL get better once this pneumonia thing is done. Antibiotics are wonderful and you should gradually be breathing easier and feeling better. Getting your strength back can take awhile. I know when I was over the pneumonia (and I was hospitalized for about 7 days) the Dr. told me to stay home for another two weeks to rest. The day I went back to school I was soooo exhausted I didn't think I would make it through the day, got home and took a 4 hour nap.

Don't feel badly about venting here.....we all have been in someone else's shoes and know how you're feeling.

As far as the depression goes, I think that is something most people who have had ohs go through. If you think it's really bad, ask your dr. to give you something or talk to a psychologist.....you've had a life-changing operation, why shouldn't you have some misgivings.

I'm hoping you're feeling better real soon.

Evelyn

Sorry to hear your news...

Its not common but it is fairly frequent to have this, there is a lot of fluid build up in the lungs post op and sometimes it doesn't clear.

Sleeping on back/left can be weird also....i think i sat up at 45 degree angle for the first week, then in a recliner kinda tilted to my right then mostly on my right so i sound a bit like you.....i didn't have constant back pain but did have a few occurances of severe back pain where i just had to lie flat immediately.....once i managed to do it on my bed, the other on a family members lounge floor...freaked them out but cured the pain.

Sleep was an issue with me for about the first month....definately two weeks on strong sleeping pills, then a few weeks light sleeping before i just spontaneously started sleeping....lack of sleep is not good.

Hope you start on a steady recovery now...best of luck...the hardest bit is over.

Lisa,

My recovery was also S L O W so I can relate and understand your frustration and depression when reading about stellar rapid recoveries.

As Magic8ball said, fluid can build up in the lungs and needs to be expelled to prevent pneumonia. That is the reason patients are given Incentive Spirometers to do Breathing Exercises. You did get one I hope (that is a question :)

When I showed signs of fluid in my chest cavity, the surgeon's assistant instructed me to use the incentive spirometer for 10 minutes every 2 hours. I would 'push' my breathing until I could actually feel (and sometimes hear) the fluid being squeezed out of my chest.

Depression is not uncommon following OHS. There is an excellent book by the title of "Overcoming Heart Surgery and Bypassing Depression" (or something like that) by J. Jude, M.D. et.al. that addresses that subject.

Some of us just take longer to recover than others, sometimes much longer. Believe me, I KNOW how frustrating that is. The Good News (for me at least) was that I did continue to improve for a Long Time. At 18 months post-op I was push mowing my large yard and hand sawing trees and limbs so I did finally realize a good surgical benefit. PATIENCE and a Long Term Outlook help to keep you focused on the Positive.

As Nancy says in her signature line:

"Never Give In and Never Give Up"

YOU CAN DO THIS !

Best Wishes,

'AL Capshaw'

Muscle Pain

Muscle Pain

I too had a LOT of INTENSE Back Muscle Pain.

I found that MASSAGE worked MUCH BETTER and FASTER than any Pain Medication at relieving that pain.

My S.O. used a Vibrating Disk Massager (about 2.5 inches in diameter) to go up and down the Long Muscles of my Back which allowed them to relax. The pain would just disappear in a minute or two! :)

STRETCHES also help to recondition the muscles for the long term.
Massage is still Best for Quick Relief.

Hope this works for you too!

'AL Capshaw'

I had surgery on Jan 22 and although only a couple of minor bumps so far. It's not a walk in the park. I don't have the stamina that I read others have at this time. I use ambien to get a decent night's sleep. I still need help taking a shower.
Although you've had a major bump not all of us jump right back into life even without the major bump. I do a little better every day but I have to look for that little better every day.
Keep your chin up and keep posting. You might try for some relaxing tapes if you have any they seem to help me.
Earline

I was wondering how you were doing, Lisa, and I'm glad to see your post. Are they certain it is pneumonia? I'm asking because, although I can't find it now, I read a post yesterday from a member who'd just had OHS also and weeks later had been misdiagnosed with pneumonia in the ER when it was actually pleural something aruther, a post-op OHS problem which their cardio discovered shortly thereafter and needed to treat entirely differently from pneumonia. Are you feeling immediately better with the pneumonia treatment? That could indicate whether they are treating you correctly or not.

And please don't let yourself feel like a wimp; everyone recovers differently and you have been dealing with an extra physical drag of one kind or another. I am surprised they gave you the flu and pneumonia shots when they were releasing you right after your OHS.

Take care and post again when you feel like it.

I found the thread I was referring to, one from Harleygirl: http://valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23852

Hi Lisa, I hope you will be feeling better soon....take your time, this is NOT a race.
Anyway, I am the queen of slow recovery:rolleyes: 2 yrs post op and still not working, not travelling, etc.
I think our confidence can get very shaken up. Remind yourself what you have to be thankful for.:)
Best wishes.

roundsgirl said:
Wayne, you still riding those bikes? Everytime I see you post and look at your picture it reminds me of my dad he loved to ride. I hope you are still enjoying it.

I still ride when I can. Unfortunately today there's 30 centimeters of fresh snow on the ground, so I think it'll be in the garage for a while yet. Winter sucks! :(

roundsgirl said:
Hey gang,
I hope this finds you all doing well, or as best as can be expected. I haven't posted in a while. I sort of felt like a whimp, reading all the post on how great everyone was doing right out of or just days out of surgery and here I was one month out and still feeling like I had been hit by that train, and then beat with a baseball bat across my chest and back. For me it's been slow going; lots of pain with the muscle spasms etc. Then Mon I started feeling even worse, this really helped with the depression I have been dealing with, lol. Anyway, I thought I had caught a cold, but it was just getting worse each day, so I went to the ER today. After all their test, chest x-ray showed I have pneumonia in my right lung. Atleast that validated to some degree why I don't feel good yet. They ran antibodics IV, plus 2 by mouth, gave me 2 breathing treatments. Sent me home with a inhaler, 3 scripts, so hopefully things are about to turn around. I was wondering if it is common to catch this after OHS, by the way I took both the flu and pneumonia shots on the day I was released after my OHS, lol with that one huh.
I do want to send out my sincerest congrads. to all of those who have done so great after the surgery. I don't mean to sound negative if I did, I'm just frustrated I guess, I want to feel better and thought I would by now. But I still get tired easily, short of breath etc., still sleeping in recliner it's all getting old to be. I am ready to feel better.

Take care,
Lisa
Lisa you just said everything I've been thinking. Lately everyone has been having textbook recoveries and when some of us don't, well you sort of feel blemished somehow. People get mad at me when they're all elated at how well they're doing and I come along to remind them that not all of us do recover like that.

Very easy to get pneumonia after surgery. There is also a bug going arouind that pretty well simulates pneumonia also.

Bummer. happened to me in the hospital after a different surgery. Sorry you are having such a tough time. Take all that med, use the inhaler, rest, and get well as soon as you can. Blessins............

Latest posts

Back