1-month follow up meeting questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason

Always Assume Positive Intent
Next Monday I meet with my surgeon for my 1-month follow up (actually 6-weeks, but who's counting). I will also be meeting with my new cardiologist at that time. In preparation for that I will be having an echo, EKG, chest X-ray and non-fasting blood work completed Friday. Based on my previous experience with my surgeon, she will answer any questions I have but not offer up a lot, as she is a very busy person. That being said, I figured I had a very good resource here in all of you to help me develop any questions I should be asking. Also, which (surgeon or cardio) should I be asking these questions of?

Some questions I have thought of:

1. What is my ejection fraction, both before and after surgery?

2. When can I expect to get off of the amiodorone?

3. When might I drop back in dosage or get off of metoprolol? Is this a lifetime drug, or would something happen that would let you drop my dose or stop this altogether?

4. I am still taking prilosec as prescribed after surgery. Should I be stopping this, or keep it going?

5. Should I discontinue the baby aspirin since I am on warfarin now? No doctor prescribed this; I started this about two years ago after reading an article.

This is what I have so far. Do you have some suggestions for specific information I should be requesting from the EKG, Echo, etc? I just don't want to walk away from these appointments going "Darn! I wish I would have asked..."

Thanks in advance.

Jason, I saw my surgeon today for my 6 week checkup. He had no time for me, shook my hand and said I do not look like a patient anymore.
I talked to his right hand man, he basically said everything looked good and see ya later. He looked at my incision and took my blood pressure. I asked him about the drugs I was on and he told me to ask my G.P. about any drug changes.

I did ask him about taking antibiotics for dental work, he said to ask my GP for a prescription and then take it an hour before cleaning or dental work. Wearing an identification tag for blood thinners and indicating I have a MAV implanted.

He said I could drive but still take it easy and cautioned about any physical sports. No problem with flying on a plane right now and encouraged home testing.

Basically he was moving on to the next surgery and was happy with the progress. He said a few times there was no need for me to see him again!

Jeff

Your questions are good. I might add a few more, but I can tell you that I can never remember walking out of a cardiologist or surgeon appointment without saying "Darn! I wish I would have asked..." even though I always make a list of questions. But I always think of at least one more...lol. Here are a few more questions you might want to ask.

How often will you do follow ups on me?

Will I only see my cardiologist or will I see my surgeon too? (my surgeon follows his patients at least annually for life but will see cardiologist too).

Will you do annual MRI's or CT scans to check the status of my ascending aorta? (echo does not give a good picture of ascending aorta)

When will my lifting restrictions be lifted? Will I have permanent lifting restrictions due to having my ascending aorta replaced?

Will you allow me to eventually home test my Coumadin levels? (if you are interested in doing so)

I'm sure others will come up with some more so put them together and decide which ones are most important to you. And if you forget to ask a question that you really want an answer to call their office. You are paying them good money (or your insurance company is)...remember they work for you.

Thanks, Jeff and Bryan. You guys have both triggered some questions that I had thought to ask before, but forgotten. This group is great for bouncing ideas off and getting great input! I will add these to my growing list of questions; hope they set aside enough time for me next week...

Unless you are going to be seeing your surgeon again, (which many/ people do not) I would ask the surgeon any questions you have about the surgery or any incisions questions or anything that may hurt ir feel weird type things. All the other questions, we ask the cardiologist.. about the drugs, any restrictions lifting etc.

Latest posts

Back