Young athletes dying from "Enlarged Hearts"

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hockey Heart

Far too frequently, we hear news of a young athlete dying during a sporting event or shortly thereafter from an enlarged heart. The most recent example of this was in Ohio, I believe, when a high school basketball player hit the winning basket in a state tournament playoff game and then died shortly afterwards.

What is an enlarged heart? Does this mean that the person has a BAV with regurgitation and the pressure from the regurgitating blood makes the heart chamber expand to the point where it ruptures?

I have a BAV with regurgitation and will need my surgery in the next year despite my young age of 36. However, I played hockey my entire life including college and professionally in the minor leagues. Is there any correlation between playing high level athletics and a quickening of the necessity for surgical intervention? Does playing sports at a high level put more wear and tear on your heart?

Your heart can be enlarged for many reasons. Valve issues (I had severe MVP and my L Atrium enlarged 40% above normal. It has since remodeled), heart failure from any one of a number of causes, dialated cardiomyopathy (disease of the heart muscle itself, more description than diagnosis), high blood pressure, etc. etc.
I believe more frequently these young athletes are simply undiagnosed because they ARE young, and seem healthy. When they then exercise, especially strenuously, it does put more strain on a damaged heart, which can lead to sudden cardiac death.

As Laurie said there are quite a few causes for enlarged heart and depending why the heart is "enlarged" pretty much plays a role in treatment or risks.
There've been a few threads about enlarged hearts in the past month or so that have some good info and links, heres one http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?37693-enlarged-heart-cardiomyapathy

Often the death happens more from the rythm being effected as the heart gets larger and stretched, than actually rupturing (unless you are talking about an annuerysm, but that isn't an enlarged heart)
Everyone is different and usually young people who pass during sports were never diagnosed with heart problems and weren't under doctors care. Do you have all your tests results? Justin's heart is VERY enlarged and pretty much has been since he was a baby, but he was always allowed to play sports, except he's been restricted right before and after a few of his surgeries. playing Sports doesn't really wear out your heart if that is what you are wondering.

I'f you have any concerns about if something is safe for you or not, you really should ask your cardiologist. Did your doctors put you on any restrictions? If they did be sure to follow them. IF not you probably are ok, as long as they know what sports and activities you do.
Do you have copies of your test results? They should let you know how large the different parts our of your heart are.

Just want to add that this is also why some states are requiring young athletes to go through cardiology screenings before playing sports. Even in young people, heart issues are more common than we normally acknowledge. As Lyn mentions, the best thing you can do is keep your physicians in the loop and develop an activity plan along with them so that your exercise makes sense for you.

Thanks for the great feedback. I'm all squared away with my situation. I know my diagnosis, have my test results, have my restrictions and have my pre-surgery appointment with the surgeon tomorrow.

I was just curious about what an "enlarged heart" is and whether constantly playing sports and making your heart work harder than than the average person will speed up the process of your heart condition worsening....not for me personally but just out of curiosity.

Hockey,

Are you having any symptoms now? I know you were talking about getting surgery early (before your baby is born). I am wondering what made it possible to push for surgery?

Are you ready for it? Did you have to fight with the insurance company???

Just curious.

Hi DeuxofUs,

I am not having any symptoms and my cardiologist doesn't think I will NEED the surgery for another 18 months, but he is in complete agreement that I should have it now based upon the other circumstances in our lives (baby due in September and will begin trying for a second as soon as possible based upon difficulty conceiving this one with infertility treatments). I am completely 100% mentally ready to have it done now. Regarding insurance, we haven't crossed that bridge yet, however, my cardiologist believes they will approve it because they don't want to deny it and then have something happen to me.

My appointment with the surgeon is tomorrow. Assuming he believes it will be NEEDED in the next 18 months and he is in agreement to do it now, I imagine I will be getting my surgery date for sometime in May. I'll keep you all posted.

I'm not sure. The number I was given by my cardiologist, I believe, is the measurement of the heart chamber that is expanding due to the regurgitating blood. Off hand, I don't remember what that number is but I know I posted it in one of my previous posts. I'll be sure to get all the important numbers again at my appointment tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back