with my heart still beating!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sounds like a great deal! We'll be anxious to hear your story afterwards.

talked to my surgeon today.
My right coronary artery does in fact originate from the left sinus. he is going to do a little bypass that he says should only add about 20 minutes and not much risk to the surgery and will greatly reduce my risk of sudden cardiac death :shock: .

And then he told me something great-
He thinks he can do the majority if not all of the surgery (PV replacement and bypass) with my heart beating!!!

I know this is a relatively new technique that is being used different places but I didn't know I was going to be a candidate.
I'm all for being on bypass for as little time as possible.

thump thump thump!:)

Interesting. Is this from the Surgeon(s) at Emory?

What Surgeon(s) are you talking to?

Wonderful news Beha! The surgeon i would have had (if i'd been operable) does a lot of beating heart surgeries, but he only does them on people with coronary bypass surgery. According to him, it's much less risk than being on the bypass machine. I'm happy for you that you're got a surgeon who is doing your surgery this way.

Happy Holidays!

Dawn-Marie

Beha, That's great. BTW am I reading your sig right, will this be your first Pulm Valve? Justin didn't have one until he was 17 and when he conduit needed replaced they gave him a valve. Lyn

talked to my surgeon today.
My right coronary artery does in fact originate from the left sinus. he is going to do a little bypass that he says should only add about 20 minutes and not much risk to the surgery and will greatly reduce my risk of sudden cardiac death :shock: .

And then he told me something great-
He thinks he can do the majority if not all of the surgery (PV replacement and bypass) with my heart beating!!!

I know this is a relatively new technique that is being used different places but I didn't know I was going to be a candidate.
I'm all for being on bypass for as little time as possible.

thump thump thump!:)

I wanted to get your thoughts on Dr. Brian Kogan. I haven't been able to find much on the web, but he would be my doctor if i decide to do my elective surgery.

You do realize you resurrected a three year old thread, right?

Not that there is anything wrong with that but just wanted to point it out.
Last activity by the poster was August 6, 2009.

Quick -question is - to those who have gone before us - how fast / or slow does a valve number drop within a month time. ? Any thoughts - comments. Surgery due in 5 weeks - feb 9 and am at .5 something. Showing severe but hardly any symptoms - albeit for when I do some fast walking - which I've learned not to do Cardio man & surgeon feel I'll do fine for February. ( other wise I would assume they have yelled "NOW " and they both were fine with feb. ( unless symptoms start. ). But no dizzy. No fainting. No. Swollen ankles - What else would I look for ? Thx as always for ur help. Nancy Jane.

Quick -question is - to those who have gone before us - how fast / or slow does a valve number drop within a month time. ? Any thoughts - comments. Surgery due in 5 weeks - feb 9 and am at .5 something. Showing severe but hardly any symptoms - albeit for when I do some fast walking - which I've learned not to do Cardio man & surgeon feel I'll do fine for February. ( other wise I would assume they have yelled "NOW " and they both were fine with feb. ( unless symptoms start. ). But no dizzy. No fainting. No. Swollen ankles - What else would I look for ? Thx as always for ur help. Nancy Jane.

Hi again Nancy, I cannot tell you how fast a heart valve narrows with calcium build up but you did mention some of the symptoms . I also had bad skin color, some said a blueish hue along areas of my face. This all cleared up after surgery for me. My biggest noticeable issue was shortness of breath. I really wish I could play my echo scan prior and after to hear the valve difference, simply amazing.
Brad

Bradvo. Thanks for your input. Steve e really sent a great message that helped a lot. His & yours & the others keep me in check. Thx a lot !! Nanc

Back