Will the Swine Flu become pandemic?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its here!!!!!

Its here!!!!!

"Health officials have confirmed the first case of swine flu in Georgia.

The head of Georgia's Division of Public Health said Thursday a 30-year-old woman from Kentucky who had traveled to LaGrange in west Georgia had fallen ill. She had been in Cancun, Mexico earlier this month."

As reported on the Georgia News Network

May God Bless,

Danny

I'll tell you folks, the more I hear concerning this virus, the more tempted I am to cancel my trip to Houston.

On the news yesterday, they were urging people that if they felt ill, NOT to get on an airline & expose other passengers, but how many people are going to actually heed this warning??

El Paso is a border town -- there is where we have to depart for Houston. :eek: Hummmm.........

Norma,

Just go my friend. You'll more likely to hit the jackpot in LV than getting this flu. Live your life, go on that plane and don't worry. It's wasted energy.

U.S. Human Cases of H1N1 Flu Infection
(As of April 30, 2009, 10:30 AM ET) States # of laboratory confirmed cases Deaths
Arizona 1
California 14
Indiana 1
Kansas 2
Massachusetts 2
Michigan 1
Nevada 1
New York 50
Ohio 1
South Carolina 10
Texas 26 1
TOTAL COUNTS 109 cases 1 death
International Human Cases of Swine Flu Infection
See: World Health Organization

Have you also stopped eating chicken? You might get Avian Flu???

So what has Chicken to do with the subject of this thread???

You missed the point. Most of our local Mexican restaurants are owned by Mexicans of which 'may' employee illegals straight from Mexico!

I second that line of thought!! Being a Texas, I especially want to see ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION STOPPED. I want tighter, stricter border control! Hey folks, I thought we were a sovereign nation! We've been brainwashed, by some of our politicians, and media into thinking it's okay to keep letting millions of Mexican Nationals into our country this way. If the US speaks up, or tries to do anything, we are the bad guys!!! I'm sorry, but what about the Mexican government??? They do nothing from what I'm seeing for their people. It is their responsibility. not ours. The American people are some of the most forgiving,tolerant, and GIVING people in the world, and I am sick of us getting the blame!!!

THANK YOU Kathy
. I'm also a Texan.

Swine flu is bs, every year hundreds of thousands of people die around the world from various flu strains. Here in the USA alone the number is something like 40,000 per year. This is all a media hype much like Y2K, Killer Bees, etc.

I agree with you!

When pigs fly...

When pigs fly...

I have very little faith in this administration, or Ms Napolitano to handle this epidemic situation.

What epidemic are you speaking of???:confused:

Before we were allowed to check-in for our flight out of Mexico today our temperature was taken. We filled out a health survey which included questions whether we were having any flu-like symptoms. At the gate our temperature was taken and recorded again before we were allowed to board.

Upon departure out of immigration/customs in Austin we were met with glaring lights and cameras.. Of course Mike gave his best impersonation of Foster Brooks and told FOX NEWS that he warded off the influenza porcina with all the good Margs..:D

The Mexicans were very accommodating and I don't feel it's wise to criticize in this instance. Course most of the BS is coming from those same folks who filled their bathtubs for Y2K...remember that BS..?:D

Time to 'move on'...and not try to make something political of something that's not..!

Swine flu is bs, every year hundreds of thousands of people die around the world from various flu strains. Here in the USA alone the number is something like 40,000 per year. This is all a media hype much like Y2K, Killer Bees, etc.

I'm right there with you. They have already said that this strain of flu is not as bad as the "regular" flu that went around this year. I think that we are all fortunate that in this day, we can be almost instantly informed about things like this and then take the necessary steps to try and be prepared for it. However, I'm not going to let it send me into a panic or even change the way I live my daily life.

I also don't have any stomach for trying to turn this thread into some big political thing.

Kim

Any death is tragic but I think the media is sensationalizing "swine flu". First its the flu which we have always had to live with and always will. Second it has nothing to do with swine. At this time there is no proof the pig or hog has anything to do with this strain of flu. If you are high risk then any flu can be life threatening. For me I am more afraid of the text messaging teenager driving toward me or choking on a piece of steak.

Sometimes I think we live in a wolrd of too much information. The experts gave us a flat world, the sun circles the earth, global warming, subprime mortgages and Y2K. I just do not trust or believe the experts anymore! What we need is Paris Hilton and Brittiny Spears to do something outragious and the flu will be yesterday's news.

Norma,

Just go my friend. You'll more likely to hit the jackpot in LV than getting this flu. Live your life, go on that plane and don't worry. It's wasted energy.

Thanks Christina ---- I know you're right. If they shut down all travel, well then, that's a different matter altogether but it's still a go for me. :)

I'm not terribly concerned about this whole thing. From what I've read its milder and harder to transmit than the regular winter flu. I'm just washing my hands a lot and avoiding sick people. One thing that does interest me is the reporting of confirmed cases. I know for a fact that there has been a local case that was confirmed by the CDC yesterday (I have a family member that works in a local hospitals pathology lab), but it is still not in the count that's all over the news and our local stations are still saying we are swine flu free. I wonder how many other confirmed cases aren't getting reported?

What I would like to know is, what is with these numbers. We were a 3 then a 4 now a 5. So what does that mean???? Are we supposed to wash our hands with something else? Just like the terrorist warning green yellow orange red whatever......what is different. I know the number goes up as we get more cases but what are we supposed to do:confused:

Norma,

Yeah and you know we haven't heard much about west nile virus since
the order of swine came about;)
I'm sure i heard a misquito buzzin in edmonton:eek:

zipper2 (DEB)

Beha;389024 I wonder how many other confirmed cases aren't getting reported?[/QUOTE said:
That's what I'm wondering too. In our town, just this week, a 6 yr old little school boy fell ill all of a sudden on Tuesday & died on Wednesday. It was reported that he had a real high fever --- what else could it have been? Poor baby! We feel so sad about this.

The doctors don't know for sure if it was the swine flu or if he had heart troubles or what. The case is still under investigation.

What I would like to know is, what is with these numbers. We were a 3 then a 4 now a 5. So what does that mean???? Are we supposed to wash our hands with something else? Just like the terrorist warning green yellow orange red whatever......what is different. I know the number goes up as we get more cases but what are we supposed to do:confused:

Go back to the beginning of this thread. I have all the phases posted there.

What I love about everyone that is saying forget about it is the way viruses recreate themselves and show up as yet another unknown strain. These things are becoming more and more resistent to vaccines, antibiotics, and other forms of dealing with them with each new change. Perhaps it's because of other medical treatments, that we as Americans, have had in the past, that keeps this from being the killer that it is in Mexico. Thing is, it's learning about us and just might evolve into a new form that is a killer. What do you think, the new deadly version should be called when it happens A/H1N2?

Should we dwell on it? Depends on who you are. Janie isn't worried about it because she has a "Great immune system." I am worried about it because I have almost "No immune system" and my wife works with Mexicans that travel home to Mexico and back to work.

It's like everything else in this forum. 50/50. Take what you need from it and leave what you don't.

(As of May 1, 2009, 11:00 AM ET) States # of laboratory confirmed cases Deaths
Arizona 4
California 13
Colorado 2
Delaware 4
Illinois 3
Indiana 3
Kansas 2
Kentucky 1
Massachusetts 2
Michigan 2
Minnesota 1
Nebraska 1
Nevada 1
New Jersey 5
New York 50
Ohio 1
South Carolina 16
Texas 28 1
Virginia 2
TOTAL COUNTS 141 cases 1 death

Influenza A(H1N1) - update 7
1 May 2009 -- The situation continues to evolve rapidly. As of 06:00 GMT, 1 May 2009, 11 countries have officially reported 331 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection.

The United States Government has reported 109 laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death. Mexico has reported 156 confirmed human cases of infection, including nine deaths.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Austria (1), Canada (34), Germany (3), Israel (2), Netherlands (1), New Zealand (3), Spain (13), Switzerland (1) and the United Kingdom (8).

Further information on the situation will be available on the WHO website on a regular basis. WHO advises no restriction of regular travel or closure of borders. It is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following international travel to seek medical attention, in line with guidance from national authorities.

There is also no risk of infection from this virus from consumption of well-cooked pork and pork products. Individuals are advised to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water on a regular basis and should seek medical attention if they develop any symptoms of influenza-like illness.

(As of May 2, 2009, 11:00 AM ET) States # of
laboratory
confirmed
cases Deaths
Arizona 4
California 24
Colorado 2
Connecticut 1
Delaware 4
Florida 2
Illinois 3
Indiana 3
Kansas 2
Kentucky* 1
Massachusetts 8
Michigan 2
Minnesota 1
Missouri 1
Nevada 1
New Jersey 7
New York 50
Ohio 1
South Carolina 13
Texas 28 1
Virginia 2
TOTAL (21) 160 cases 1 death

*Case is resident of KY but currently hospitalized in GA.

Influenza A(H1N1) - update 10
2 May 2009 -- The situation continues to evolve. As of 18:00 GMT+1, 2 May 2009, 16 countries have officially reported 658 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection.

Mexico has reported 397 confirmed human cases of infection, including 16 deaths. The higher number of cases from Mexico in the past 48 hours reflects ongoing testing of previously collected specimens. The United States Government has reported 160 laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Austria (1), Canada (51), China, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (1), Costa Rica (1), Denmark (1), France (2), Germany (6), Israel (3), Netherlands (1), New Zealand (4), Republic of Korea (1), Spain (13), Switzerland (1) and the United Kingdom (15).

Further information on the situation will be available on the WHO website on a regular basis.

WHO advises no restriction of regular travel or closure of borders. It is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following international travel to seek medical attention, in line with guidance from national authorities.

There is also no risk of infection from this virus from consumption of well-cooked pork and pork products. Individuals are advised to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water on a regular basis and should seek medical attention if they develop any symptoms of influenza-like illness.

Related links
Influenza A(H1N1) web site
Daily updates will be posted on this site.

The 1 death is a 2.5 year old child from Mexico who was visiting relatives in Texas with his family.

If nothing else comes out of this, I heard a new word today....idiodemic, defined as a pandemic of idiots. The person who used it stated that we are way past Stage 5 on that one. Sure, if your immune system is bad, these kinds of things worry you, but if you really want to drive yourself crazy, think about the people you come in contact with every day with strep, pneumonia, meningitis, staph, chicken pox, etc., etc., etc.

Back