Wife's Insurance will NOT cover CoaguChek XS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Well,
The jury is finally in on insurance coverage paying for the machine and supplies - the answer is NO:mad:. So, will just have to claim it as a deductible medical expense on the 2009 tax return:).
Regardless, I am very happy that I found out via VR.com that this was even possible and that I made a point of educating my GP to get one and get to self dosing. Even if I assume a machine life of only 5 years and a weekly testing regime, the cost of machine and supplies works out at only CAD$1.46/day - a LOT less than a Starbucks or possibly even a Tim's, and much better return on the health budget:D!
Last INR was 2.7 - the lab got 2.9 - GP agreed that this was acceptable variation;). I have other lab work done on a 3 month schedule so will get my INR done at the lab at the same time to get a dual INR reading every three months to keep the GP happy that my machine is working:p!
Cameron

Bummer, but that sometimes happens, an insurance company not covering an INR tester.

However, you have your tester and are more in control now.

Do you have an algorithm dosing chart so you can adjust dosages -- or if you call your INRs to a doctor, so that you will know if any recommendations are in the ballpark?

Even if you laid out the cash up front, I'd continue to fight them. There is no reason for their denial.

if you get a prescription for the strips won't that be covered by insurance?

I am getting a machine on Wed. and my insurer also said it isn't covered because I can get blood tests at a lab for free-- but I will try to get coverage for the strips (thanks Bina). My family doctor hadn't heard of the home testing machines when I asked back in Feb, so I called Roche and got them to send me a bunch of brochures. I am giving them to her tomorrow.
I hope this week is my last weekly testing by a nurse -- I have lots of little purple marks in both arms from them poking me. I don't like the fact my doctor's office only calls if there is a change in my dosage (I have never needed a change so far). I have been on the same dosage since late January and my INR seems to be level but I worry that someone will forget to call and tell me if I do need to change my dose. I am hoping having the machine will make me feel as if I have more control.

Catwoman,
I have Al Lodwicks dosing chart and am basically doing my own dose adjustments:). I send my INR results to my GP occasionally to keep her in the loop and she will see the "matching" tests from my home tester and the lab every three months.
Ross,
I will give it another go with them to see if I can at least get the strips covered, although, as I noted, overall the cost of home INR testing is one of the smallest overheads of all that modern day life requires:D - gas, cell phones, cable, hydro etc!

I think the US is a bit ahead of Canada in recognising the benefits of home testing and having it supported by medical plans.
Cameron

Cameron, your insurance should cover the strips. Its my understanding; in Canada there is no insurance company that will cover the machine (some might give a little) but all should cover the stripes up to 80% of the cost. Its like no one in this country recognizes the machine, but they are familiar with the strips and those little needles, thanks to the diabetics and the supplies they need.
Good Luck and lets us know how things turn out for you.

Thanks for reminding me why it's worth it to pay for this machine (I keep getting approved, but the cost is still sky-high!) I especially like the Starbucks analogy, definitely hit home with me (I go less and less but still go on occasion..). Good for you for getting the machine!

Tax Deduction time

Tax Deduction time

I consider the cost of my XS strips a little savings account I access at tax time;)

Cameron,

Thanks for the heads up about insurance plans not covering the coagucheck. This is a real eye opener, but will have no surprises if I go that route down the road.

Our price for the CoaguchekXS is C$500
My husband gladly paid for it out of pocket since we have already saved that money by not driving 1/2 hour to hospital, parking, gas, etc.
Regarding the Insurance covering the strips:
I argued (nicely) with the woman pointing out that
1) it's a prescription item that I will need for life, just as a diabetic person needs their testing supplies.
2) I don't live near a blood lab or hospital.
3) they are not expensive....one year of strips is C$182.00

For those whose insurance won't pay for the machine - make sure you let the machine provider know this. Most will significantly discount the cost of the machine.

Went around in circles a number of times with insurance companies. My unit is a original Coaguchek on it's last legs.

Reason I cannot obtain under coverage. My last three readings called to the Drs for record were not in range. Range being 3.0.3.5. I was either higher or lower. What a stupid reason not to approve a unit! If I were to have a stroke, bleed, clot, etc. It will cost IL BCBS more than the unit and supplies in hospital stays.

When I am in the right frame of mind...will try again. So disappointing. My cardio could not believe it.

Latest posts

Back