Wife of New Valve replacement patient

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His appetite will probably be low for at least a few weeks.

Tell him his only job for a few weeks after he gets home is to walk, sleep, eat and breathe. If he has an incentive spirometer in the hospital (that thing that you breathe into and raise a little ball - or something like that) make sure he brings it home and keeps doing it. It will help a lot.

Don't take anything he says to heart unless he is addressing his pain. I went thru this three years ago the 20th of this month. Not only was he mean to me, but he was awful to the Nurses, Respritory and Physical Therapists.I ran around apologizing for his behaviour only to be told by all of them that "THEY ARE ALL LIKE THAT" and not to worry. The depression was a big issue for him and this website was very helpful. Our surgeon hooked him up with another paitient that lived a few miles away and had the same ross procedure done two months before. They would talk to each other a couple times a week and he was very reassuring for my husband.We also had an issue with a blood clot in his leg. So again take any pain issues seriously "better safe than sorry" I always say. I think his biggest complaint was the heart beating drove him crazy for about three weeks. I would find him crying because it was so loud to him. He did eventually get use to the sound and doesn't even notice it now. He also lost about 35 lbs but three years later he has gained most of it back. Stay strong and keep him walking, breathing and eating and he will get better with each passing day.
Best wishes and prayers to you both, Patti (wife of Stuart)

Also, Pati, I've been following your story and your husband's recovery. Sounds like things are getting better day by day. Hoping all goes well. Best wishes and take care :) .

Hi he came home last night. He's been sleeping a lot. Up and walking around the house, and he is eating a little bit. Have to fight with him to use his breathing thingy. The visitng nurse came and took the dressing off his little "holes" for the chest drainage, they are small and healing well. She says air is the best thing for them. He can take a shower, which he will do tonight. She gave me a nifty pill thing so I can do his pills for a whole week. AM and PM and in between.

Monday orTues. he's getting a new fancy scale that also does BP and oxygen rate. Hav e to keep a daily record for a while. Should be interesting.

Have to hit the store for a few OTC things for him. He will have the phone there and I have my cell phone handy. Mostl likey he will just walk around the house and nap.

Thanks for the support and answers to my questions. As long as I don't "hover" around him he's in a good mood LOL.

Make sure he uses his spirometer, it is one of the most important things in the early stages of recovery. Doing that can ward off lung congestion, and no one wants that. It could mean another hospital stay, and you can quote me on that!

glad to hear things seem to be going better; as they, pick your fights - that is, only be inflexible about the "big" things for a bit. If he doesn't want to eat, fine; if he wants to nap, fine; but he has to walk, inside and out if possible... and so on.

metmiff, he got his appitite back LOL, I knew he would. He's feeling a lot better the visiting nurse came and too out his sutures for his drain tubes. They and the "zipper" are healing very well, no redness or swelling. He's now taking one percoset and one extra strengh tylenol for pain, 3 times a day now, he says it's not that painful now. He's getting more energy already and walking around the house, he has been outside too in the yard a bit.
He's doing great with the breathing thing and I spoke with his surgeon's assistant when she called today, so far so good he's bouncing back. Now to keep him from doing too much LOL.

So glad he's home and on the mend. He can tell now that he's better with the new valve.

I'll keep reading and having questions for sure here. The support is great as are all the wonderful information.

Can't add to the advice really.............

Can't add to the advice really.............

as it's been great. Just wanted to welcome you to the group and glad to hear that your husband is feeling a bit better. Appetite back is a good sign. It always took a long time for Katie's to come back, but once it did, I knew a huge part of the battle was behind us. Hang in there. Many hugs. Janet

I'm glad to read that he's feeling the benefits of the new valve already. That always helps having to put up with the recovery process when you know the "thing" works!

Latest posts

Back