Why radiologist won't say anything?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themalteser

Hi guys, me again, hope everyone is doing well. As usual, I have a concern and would appreciate your thoughts.

I just been for an echo today, as per my doctor request (6 months) to make sure everything is stable. When I finished, being a nervous wreck, I started asking questions to the radiologist, and all she said was, I don't know, I got to measure them offline as it will be more accurate, then I said, what about the valve, and she said the same.

Can't understand what was she doing all time long if not measuring, does it make any sense to measure offline because it's more accurate??

Can't help thinking that there has been changes, but might be having distorted thoughts and not reality.

I'm grateful as usual for all your thoughts

Thankyou

Was the person doing the test actually a Radiologist (MD) or just a tech? Echo techs can't legally or ethically interpret test results, and you really don't want them to.
I always figured that if they saw something terribly wrong they'd be paging people and wheeling me down to the ICU.
Just be patient, I'm sure they'll get back to you as soon as they can.
Mark

I would bet the person doing the echo was not a radiologist, but rather an echo tech. It doesn't matter either way though, they are going to give the results to the Dr. who ordered the test for them to deliver them to you. Don't read anything into that. It's just standard protocol. Everywhere I've ever had one done has been that way. It doesn't mean things have changed or that things are good or bad. It just means you have to take a deep breath and wait until your cardio gets the results to share with you.

Ditto the others.

Techs are not supposed to give any assessment of the examination.

Ditto for me as well. I have my echos done by a tech who sends it to a Cardio in the group for analysis. That doc does a report and sends it my Cardio who telephones me with the ressult. I gave up, a long time ago, trying to read things into the actions of the echo tech:confused2:. I just lay there and watch the little screen and listen to the "thump-thump" of the audio:smile2:. Reminds me....I gotta get my annual echo tomorrow.

Last edited:
The gal would not tell me either when I had my echogram the last 3 days in the hospital. She did point out the new AVR and I could see it working away. I thought that a good sign. I had to wait for the cardiologist to tell me. They said if there was something bad, they would contact me right away. So I knew when I heard nothing, all must be well - at least for now. Pat

I've learned to peer over the echo tech's shoulder and read the numbers on the screen for myself, but I'm not the patient and not lying on the table! She will never interpret anything for me, but if I ask her what the LVdd is she'll tell me, and then I compare the number with what it was the last time. I asked if I was being too obnoxious, and she said as long as I'm just looking at the numbers she's OK with it. Apparently a lot of nervous parents do the same.

Was the person doing the test actually a Radiologist (MD) or just a tech? Echo techs can't legally or ethically interpret test results, and you really don't want them to.
I always figured that if they saw something terribly wrong they'd be paging people and wheeling me down to the ICU.
Just be patient, I'm sure they'll get back to you as soon as they can.
Mark

That has been our experience . Whenever anything looks bad or worse than they expected. They usually leave the room for a bit and come back with a couple doctors to look at it.

I commented to an echo tech recently, "I bet in your work, you sometimes do echos of patient's hearts that are obviously about to give them trouble." She said that she does, and that it's important for her to not show any signs of knowing the patient is in trouble. It's up to the doctor to do that. The techs are indeed forbidden to interpret the results for the patient.

The tech I had the last time seemed to have loose lips and slip[ped about the leads in my ICD (I was part of a blind study) and then he asked if I was seeing my cardiologist soon (gulp)
The Doc did not have a lot to say and so the tech was reading too much into it

Ethics

Ethics

Yeah, the techs aren't supposed to do anything but run the tests, but I've managed to squeeze information out of them from time to time.

Prior to my surgery back in 2007, I made some comments to a tech about my aortic valve being just fine. He looked back at me and told me I needed a reality check. I then commented about my desire to avoid any kind of invasive tests and any kind of surgery. He responded that he was pretty sure I'd be getting some invasive tests done and I'd likely be visiting with a surgeon... at that point, I knew I was in trouble.

Now, I commonly ask techs about the numbers they're coming up with. I've had good success with engaging them in conversations.

-Philip

I don't ask. That's the last thing I need. Not that they don't understand what the numbers mean, but they are not doctors and don't know my history, etc. I meet with the doc an hour later usually anyway. He'll tell me what's goin' on.

Last year I was trying to deal with the sudden (at first...)edema and general out-of-shape feeling. About 4 months of dealing with doctors who would throw up their hands and just say 'i don't know what it could be', I found my way to a rheumatologist and she listened to my heart several times, went out, came back with another doc who listened...went out...came back and said (will never forget this part) 'are you sure no ones ever said you had a heart murmur? Has anyone ever mentioned cardiomyopathy?'

(Has anyone ever googled edema and cardiomyopathy without knowing what that meant?) Went for an echo...the tech was an LSU fan, so we talked college sports...at the end I commented that since he didn't disappear and come back with doctor types and a stretcher, I guess things weren't as bad as google implied...he laughed and said that was pretty accurate. Never would give me any sign of good/bad/indifferent.

Tass

Hi all,

Thank you for all your thoughts. I've phoned up the radiology department and all they said was that the report is ready, but not yet verified by the consultant. Oh I'm so impatient!!

Thanks all for your continous support.

Hi all,

Thank you for all your thoughts. I've phoned up the radiology department and all they said was that the report is ready, but not yet verified by the consultant. Oh I'm so impatient!!

Thanks all for your continous support.

Then I suppose it's not ready, don't you say? :)

Yesterday, I went in for my annual Echo. I normally don't ask many questions of the tech because they won't/can't give medical advise. I can understand how many new patients could get anxious during the test.....listening to the "thump-thump":eek2: and the tech calling out numbers to a recording tech. The tech told me that my Cardio would call me today to go over the results. I'm assuming, since no one has called me yet, that things are, pretty much, OK:biggrin2: After my "short" conversation with him today, I'll get a copy of his comments to my PCP and I'll review that....as best I can, and call him back with any further questions:confused2:.

Just got the call from my Cardio. Echo yesterday looks just like the one last year.....so, I'm "good too go" for one more year:thumbup:.

Last edited:
I read this and am thankful my Cardio is at the Cleveland Clinic. Once my Echo is complete, I go straight to the Cardio. He gives me my results within about 30 minutes. Last time, he did something pretty cool: He pulled up last year's and this year's side-by-side so we could watch valve and compare.

Years ago, I had an independent Cardio who did his own echos (he was the tech) and then we walked across the hall to discuss the results.

Scott

My sister-in-law is my tech and she manages to keep her poker face with me :) She has worked with my cardiologist for about 25 years. You would think she could give me just a little hint, but nope, not one blip.

Latest posts

Back