Why do humans worry?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume you are a human .... Being a Chimp I can't really comment except to say it must suck to be you:rolleyes:

OHBURN! :D

Why don't you start a new thread on why people suck, so you don't high jack someones thread:D

RUH ROH

I saw this link today and it made me think of this thread (not trying to imply anything, just thought it was interesting):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7833707.stm

Research published in the journal Neurology asked 500 healthy elderly people to fill out questionnaires about their personalities.

Those who were calm and relaxed had a 50% lower risk of developing dementia during the six years of the study.

I've given thought to the question and whether right or wrong, this is my take on it. Part of it is instinct and the other part is preconditioning. Some of us have had nothing but terrifyingly bad things happen on an almost continuous basis. When that happens time after time, your get preconditioned to it and simply worry at everything. I'm like that and I know a few others here are too.

At the risk of sounding argumentative, I really don't agree with the preconditioning part at all. I had a pretty screwed up childhood - even without the heart defect and subsequent surgeries/issues - completely screwed up self-abusive teens, and a life that really didn't start turning around for me until I was in my 20's, by which stage I would imagine any preconditioning would be set in place.

Sure, it made me a realist, but I've still always had an inherent belief that I would land on my feet and be OK. I guess I figured if I could make it through the first 20-odd years of my life, I could make it through anything!! In fact in my OWN experience, it's been the people who have had the sheltered "easy" lives that seem to make the mountains out of the molehills.... but again - that's my own experience.

Personally I think it's purely biological. Some people are born worriers, some people aren't. Some people fall apart in a crisis, some become forged of steel. Some people repeat the mistakes of the past, some take a stand to break the cycle.

Yes, sometimes extreme events may change our outlook or we can learn to change it, but I still think it comes down to the hardware we're born with.

A : )

Latest posts

Back