Why Aren't Hospitals Cleaner? article

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynlw

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I thought this was interesting and scarey, This is in the best of hospital edition
the article starts with

Why Aren't Hospitals Cleaner?
Not all deadly infections come from dirty hands. Check the lab coats.
By Betsy McCaughey
Posted 7/15/07
Restaurants and cruise ships are inspected for cleanliness. Food processing plants are tested for bacterial content on cutting boards and equipment. But hospitals, even operating rooms, are exempt. The Joint Commission, which inspects and accredits U.S. hospitals, doesn't measure cleanliness. Neither do most state health departments, nor the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

http://health.usnews.com/usnews/health/articles/070715/23clean.htm

I'll get to the article shortly, but just had to post this. On my last home visit, there was dirt in the corners of the floor that has been there for years, dust and dirt hanging out of the ceiling ventilation register, oh heck, I can go on and on. I did not feel like I was in a hospital nor that it was sanitary. :eek:

And Better Yet....

And Better Yet....

Ross said:
I'll get to the article shortly, but just had to post this. On my last home visit, there was dirt in the corners of the floor that has been there for years, dust and dirt hanging out of the ceiling ventilation register, oh heck, I can go on and on. I did not feel like I was in a hospital nor that it was sanitary. :eek:

How about Nursing Homes? The one where my friends mother passed on at at best "Tolerable" in my own opinion, they could have done better especially since Jeannette passed away from C-Dif, which was contracted while she was there....It's sad...I always thought that when one got older, the better care one would receive, but now I see that it's not so.....How utterly disgusting and sad.....:mad: :mad:

I spent way too much time in hospitals with Joe. They are filthy! No exceptions. It isn't what you see, it's what's underneath things like the bottom part of a chair arm with dried blood all over it, the telephone which had bloody fingerprints on it, and some other kind of dried brown stuff, I didn't want to know about. I asked for a new phone. Then there are the under parts of the bedrails, and other obscure metal parts. The bottom of the tray tables too. Nasty.

I know for a fact what transpires in those recliner lounger chairs which they park patients in forever. Lots of accidents of all kinds. Do you think they get cleaned in between the cushions or underneath them--think again!

And please, I don't even want to talk about patient bathrooms or the dirty laundry baskets and the floor around them where dirty laundry fell out on the floor routinely.

I watched a nurse take some soiled linen (a solid accident) and throw it on the counter where Joe usually put his toothbrush and other things like that. I had to ask her to get some antiseptic wipes to clean it off, boy was she miffed.

One time there was an emergency situation with a patient who needed immediate in room surgical care. There was blood everywhere, even out in the hall. All the nurses were asked to help clean it up. Joe had his own emergency and needed help, one of the nurses came into the room without changing his bloody gloves, and was going to help Joe w/o even changing the gloves or washing his hands. That didn't fly, and of course, he was miffed too.

There was a Hoyer lift in Joe's room. They have a special sling that's pretty costly. The one in the room had some sort of brown stain on it. Do you think that was ever changed or even washed? No.

I rarely saw doctors wash their hands.

I wish I could say it was limited to just one miserable hospital, but it was just about every hospital Joe was ever in, and that was a LOT.

Bina said:
The post op cardiac surgical wing at the Royal victoria Hospital in Montreal was spotless!

So was the whole cardiac care facility at Toronto General, and the ER ICU at Joseph Brant Hospital in Burlington.

Very Ironic...I work for a local Health Department and my new coworker was just asking about the local hospital inspection and whether she was to do the whole place or just the kitchen. We do inspect the whole facility for environmental compliance: cleanliness, plumbing, lighting, bugs, ventilation, etc. and the kitchen inspection. I have to say I find a bit to write up each year. Nursing homes vary...some are immaculate, but I can think of one that is just always bad...the State gets a copy of our reports. I always find it odd that the State tells nursing homes, day cares etc. when they are coming, even for complaints! Our visits are unannounced.

I wrote to the owner of our local hospital after they didn't have my brother's parkinson medicine and wouldn't get it but also complained of the filthy restroom in the ER where there were paper towels running over from the wastebasket and everything else in there was dirty. Also the waiting room for family members to rest or wait for news. He did a meeting with all the staff re the meds and of course, denied all, but he DID address the cleanliness matter and since then I found the restroom clean and the waiting room in order, too. As to what Nancy said, I believe everything she pointed out. We know we take a chance when we go to hospital. That's where illness is, after all.

Re c-dif - when brother was in the hospital, he was checked for it since every member and some staff were ill in the assisted living home but found none. At bro's final illness, c-dif was mentioned to nursing home and they would not have taken him if he had ever been dxed with it. Apparently he would have been a carrier?

Back