Who Owns Home Testing Units And Are You Satisfied With It?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who Owns Home Testing Units And Are You Satisfied With It?

• Protime Unit-Satisfied

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Protime Unit-Not Satisfied

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Coaguchek Unit-Satisfied

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Coaguchek Unit-Not Satisfied

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harmony Unit-Satisfied

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harmony Unit-Not Satisfied

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Ross

If you own a home testing unit, which unit and are you satisfied or not satisfied with it and if not, why?

Hi Ross,

I have used my ProTime unit for about one year now and am very satisfied. I pruchased the unit myself, since my Blue Shield PPO of Ca. denied coverage citing it to be 'medical equipment'. I still go to my Lab every 4-6 weeks just to double check my level and have found it is always very close to my home test reading. I would be very upset if this were not the case, as I've read of others problems!

Good poll Ross!!!

Zipper:cool: in sunny Ca.:)

Actually this is one of those things that Granbonny thought about and decided we'd give it a shot to see how it looks. ;)

Good idea

Good idea

I am really curious to know how many test their machines against the lab. I am especially curious about the results when their unit gives a reading at about 3.0 and above to know how the lab compares.

We have many more Protime users on the site than not. I can almost predict how the poll will turn out. :) Great idea.

Gisele, your results should be within .02 of the lab. The best way to correlate is to have your unit along for the draw and handle it simultaneously.

Re: Home Testing

Re: Home Testing

I have used the Coaguchek now for almost five years. It is based on a simple principle and is easy to use. Its a very tough little machine. It has been dropped, subjected to temperature extremes, and continues to do well. I must admit I have not tested it against a central lab in over three years. The last time I did that and there was a wide discrepancy, the central lab finally admitted they were the ones that were off that day, control problems. When I purchased the unit from Roche for $1200 they said if they could not get insurance to pay I would get my money back. Well insurance would not pay and Roche sent me check for $1200! I called them and asked if I needed to send the unit back to them and they said no, keep it, and I have. Dr. Ansell and Al Lodwick who use Coaguchek in their clinics have convinced me that you can get very confused checking one lab or unit against another and its worse if your doctor changes warfarin dose based on minor variation. So I really don't know what to say about these variations between the Protime and the labs I have heard about here. I hope Gisele takes her data to Dr. Ansell and gets his input on this vexing problem.

I agree Marty. I'm to the point that I think your INR is whatever it is at that specific draw. The clinic I go to can't even get 2 numbers to correlate. I've been on my Doctor about getting a unit and he will not authorize it as he still insists that home testing units are not accurate enough for proper anticoagulation even though I've submitted documentation to the contrary.

Protime machine.

Protime machine.

That's the reason I've not gone back to do a comparison with the lab, because I don't want to confuse myself and my great doctor. I want him to trust me and my unit. There are so many variations at the lab with controls, how soon the blood is tested etc.etc. The lab I was going to at the time had to call a courier to come and get the blood (and I am sure they didn't just come to pick up mine alone after I had been there) and than take it to the other lab to be tested.

I was convinced already early on that a person can get very confused checking one lab or unit against another and of course it gets even worse if your doctor keeps changing the dosage on top of everything else. That is asking for problems, I believe!
I keep on doing what I need to be doing, and don't go to a lab. It works for me so far and I haven't gone in almost two years now. I did have my unit rechecked and upgraded in 2001 for $100.00 because it was still under warranty. If not under warranty, they charge $350.00, but I find that small change compared to what you pay for the unit and to have peace of mind, and to be safe at all times.

Hope you all have great INR's this week. Mine was kind of on the low side 2.8, but no change in dosage. Still going at 19mg one day and the next 20mg to keep within range.

I am on my way to meet Pam today for walk, talk and lunch. Joni is out of town. Should be back tomorrow.

Love my Protime

Love my Protime

Coming up soon..one year. Hubby has only charged it 3 times in a year...QAS is so good..when I order my supplies they arrive in 2 working days..packed in ice packets. UPS man knows to bring them to me first. before he makes his rounds.:) :) I can check mine now, alone, in 5 minutes..Keep my hand under warm water while machine is warming ( about a minute) dry it off good. prick (no pain) and blood flows fast. 2 drops..and it's done. I called in today with a 2.8 (always 3.0 and a little less) Within an hour my clinical nurse calls back and says the same thing. Good, check in 4 weeks.:D :D :D I have never been below my range or higher. 2.5-3.5 I'm beginning to think that us senior citizens :p :p stay in range more than the younger ones. Even tho I hang in there with age 10 year old grandson.:eek: :eek: :eek: Bonnie..well maybe I have dropped to 2.3 once or twice..just eek my dosage a tad. also one more p.s...Card's office has never asked me to bring it in..to be checked against their's.

Well,

Well,

I believe the point of having the unit come close to the lab is because there has to be a point of reference. You can't very well have everyone analyze the same sample of blood and come out with all different results. I believe and I could be wrong that is why labs changed from protime results to the INR method. A protime in one lab of 24.0 could be the same as 36 in another lab. With INR (international ratio), all INR's should be the same from lab to lab. I am sure Al can correct me if I am wrong. Therefore an INR of 2.8 should be 2.8 in all labs. Of course that won't happen, but they do have to be close. Other than that, how can you tell when a patient is really out of range?

That is what my doctor is trying to figure out. If my machine gives me 2.6, but he knows that by the hospital lab it equals 3.4, therefore his decision would be based on knowing that information, and therefore this also lowers my acceptable range. My old range of 2.5 to 3.5 is really too high on my machine as those results tested in the hospital lab would indicate that I am at appox. 3.07 to well over 5.21.

Hope I didn't confuse everyone with my explanation.

Gisele

Gisele

What is the latest on receiving a new Protime from QAS? I was thinking you might keep the old one and test at the same time with the new one..Would be interesting to see the results. Then take the new one with to your lab and test again...Surely, Lance would be willing to trust you to send back the old one :D :D Hope you get the problem resolved soon.:) :) Bonnie

What a great idea!

What a great idea!

I didn't even think of that--but I did receive the new one and started testing again. This is what I have so far:

1.8 (at home)-------->2.18 with lab (I got very excited)

2.8 (at home)-------->4.06 with lab (QAS told me to try another lab)

2.7 (at home)-------->3.5 lab at another hospital

2.6 (at home)--------->3.4 at lab #2

I retest again today. All hospital labs are drawn & analyzed stat and I test within 30 mins as advised by QAS.

As you can see with the first set of labs, the difference on my Protime is 1.0 but the difference with the lab is 1.88
I think I am making out much better with lab #2 which I am hoping that after doc studies all of this will come out with a conclusion that lab #1 might really be inconsistant and that he will start seeing that my machine isn't so bad afterall. If he gets peace of mind over this, then I will feel better. I know the two numbers will never match up exactly, and that some people probably feel I am wasting my time, but to me this is worth it. Hey, I have to deal with my doc on a regular basis, and if he isn't happy, then I get stressed, and oops--who knows----my INR will probably go up or down! Gotta stay happy:D :D :D

Hi Ross,
I have had my protime machine since last July. I have compared the mine and the same machine at my primary Dr. office and did a reg. draw at the same today. Mine was 2.4 and the office was 2.6 I thought that was great. I have not got back the lab . test yet. I am so happy I don't have to go get it checked at the Dr. office ever week. My Inr is still up aand down since surgery. My diet and exercise is the same most of the time.
Sherrin Hutt
St. Jude Valve
Valverepalcement 3/02

INR Comparisons

INR Comparisons

Since INR is a RATIO, it would seem to make more sense to compare % differences than absolute differences (subtraction).

Consider a 'difference' of 1 between 2 and 3, and 4 and 5.

The percentage diffference between 2 and 3 is 50% (3 / 2 = 1.5)

The percentage difference between 4 and 5 is 25% (5 / 4 = 1.25)

It would seem that the larger the numbers, the significance of a given 'difference' becomes less.

Regardless of what method is used, it is a good idea to keep in mind that for an INR >5, bleeding events MAY be more likely, and for an INR <2, clotting events (stroke, etc) MAY be more likely.

'AL'

Hi Al & Gisele
I love my protime machine. Mine Tested 2.4
Doctor office 2.6
Lab. 2.7
They were drew within minutes of each other. I think that is pretty good. But I am still getting the red dots even with Inr this low. Does anyone know anying thing about this. All my doctors are puzzled!
This web sight is a life saving for so many. Thank you everyone for you in put.
Sherrin
St Jude Mitri Valve repalcement 3/02

Hey, Sherrin

Hey, Sherrin

Were you still being tested every week at the doctor's office? After more than a year post-surgery??? Seems like too often even to a newbie like me.

Hi Georgia,
Yes ,I test every week and some times more. Last year I was in the hosp. for an abess tooth and I spent a week there and came home with neddles that were preloaded with lovenknox. I have had trouble wwith INR from day one. I have keep a journal and showed it to the Doctors and they are still scratching their heads.
Thank God! for my protime machine. Have you ever got the red dots, My have just stared in the last two weeks.
Thanks for sharing.
Sherrin
St. Jude Mitri valve replacement 3/02

Do all the at home units require a prescription? Can one order as many test strips as he wants and test as often as you'd like to with one of the at home units?

Jim, yes to the prescription and I'm unsure of the testing supplies as they have expiration dates. Once you get the machine, there isn't any reason why you can't test as often as you'd like except for what your insurance will allow or that you can afford to pay for.

home coagucheck machine

home coagucheck machine

I have the Coagucheck machine from QAS. I've had it for about a year and love the convenience. My INR's tend to be a little unstable and have been for most of the 12 years of my MVR. I've just been through a period of too low INRs and I was getting my INR checked at the lab as well as at the Dr.'s office. I talked to QAS today and said that my INR on my machine was running about 2 points (.2) difference from the venous draws at the lab (Ex. home - 1.9, lab venous 1.7) and about 4 points difference from the Dr.'s machine and the labs machine (1.5 - lab machine) They said that it was within their acceptable difference, even though 4 points between machines can mean the difference between theraputic and non-theraputic.

So my Dr. is now going on the assumption that my machine's results are about 2 pt. higher than what a venous draw would show.

Karlynn

Latest posts

Back