which valve would you choose? second AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So glad that you were able to make a decision and it sounds like a good one! Be sure to let us know your surgery date so we can add you to the calendar!

Valve choices

Valve choices

I don't mean to muddy the waters, but if your surgeon is not completely sold on the On-X look into the ATS models:

http://www.atsmedical.com/Patients.aspx?id=752

They too use graphite carbon and have an open pivot design which I find to be very quiet in my chest.

Regardless, I too believe you're making the right choice going with mechanical. You couldn't pay me enough to go back on that table for a 2nd or 3rd operation.

Best of luck.

i just couldn't lay in the hospital after this surgery thinking "i'll be back here in another 10 years!". The few days post surgery for me were a lot about setting my mind that i was going to live. There were times when if i just would have given up i would have probably died. Knowing that i would be looking forward to definitely another surgery might depress me enough to make my mind go into a bad place. I had put my first OHS in the back of my mind and almost forgot about it, but looking back at how hard it was i need to go thru that as few times as possible. I am not even thinking about "what if i need another surgery" for whatever reason. Just fixing the current problem and moving forward.

Wow, I noticed you are listed from Lake City, Fl. I lived in High Springs for many years and worked in the Wal-Mart in Lake City before moving to Charleston, W.V. -Small World-

Anyway, when the time came for my surgery (age 46), I had such confidence in my Cardiologist and Surgeon who worked well together in unison that I looked to them for a decision. Taking my age and possible longevity plus lifestyle into account; their choice for me was mechanical. I have every confidence in that decision, am just over a week post-op and I feel great.

Best of Luck in your decision,

-Alistair

Latest posts

Back