When is it safe after surgery to start.....?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echoguy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Having sex?

I am sure this topic has been covered several times before, but I don't seem to be able to find much on the search funtion.

Anyway, my wife reads that when I can briskly walk half a mile or climb a flight or two of stairs, that I am "good to go". The problem is in defining briskly

So I am about passing out from trying to walk around our block and up and down the stairs briskly:eek:

What is the experience of the group on this matter?

Depending on strength of your sternum, maybe she gets to be on top?
helpfully....

I think my discharge papers said as soon as i felt comfortable or something like that. Have at it, you'll be fine!

Are you talking "lame, boring" sex or "ride 'em cowboy" "swing from the chandelier" sex ?
The former is usually safe at any time post op, but the latter can put you right back in hospital. ;)

Sex?

Sex?

When is it safe or okay to resume having sex???????

Whenever you feel like it! I actually tried to talk my wife into doing the wild thing with me before I was released from the hospital after surgery. The potential for the nursing staff dropping in to take my vitals made her uncomfortable.

"Ride em cowboy?" Swing from a what? Wait until you can do twenty pushups?

When you think you're ready...give it a try.

-Philip

I was told one flight of stairs, two flights of stairs, without being short of breath. So I chose the stairs from the first to second floor in a university academic building. When I could take those stairs quickly without having to stop at the top and catch my breath, I figured that met the criteria.:cool: yep.

I was two weeks.
Release papers did say something about as long as you can walk up a flight of stairs. Not sure or the comparison.

I was told one flight of stairs, two flights of stairs, without being short of breath. So I chose the stairs from the first to second floor in a university academic building. When I could take those stairs quickly without having to stop at the top and catch my breath, I figured that met the criteria.:cool: yep.

That is exactly what I was told also.

Are you talking "lame, boring" sex or "ride 'em cowboy" "swing from the chandelier" sex ?
The former is usually safe at any time post op, but the latter can put you right back in hospital. ;)

OK, since the former does not sound interesting at all, how long do I have to wait for the latter:confused:

Having sex?

I am sure this topic has been covered several times before, but I don't seem to be able to find much on the search funtion.

Anyway, my wife reads that when I can briskly walk half a mile or climb a flight or two of stairs, that I am "good to go". The problem is in defining briskly

So I am about passing out from trying to walk around our block and up and down the stairs briskly:eek:

What is the experience of the group on this matter?

just proceed with extreme caution. my wife and i conceived twins very shortly after my surgery!

Recommendations have changed over the years. When I had my MI in 1996, my cardiologist told me to wait at least 6 weeks. My wife and I found that very difficult, but there was no other information to contradict that advice.

After my surgery in Dec, I was told it was ok when I was comfortable with it. Although, they did say chandelier swinging had to wait until the sternum was healed.;)

5 minutes?

5 minutes?

I didn't think it was possible to do it and get it done in 5 minutes. Yeah, 5 minutes or less would probably be lame and boring.

-Philip

Latest posts

Back