When do you get feeling back?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauratx22

Hello-

Its been about 5.5 months since my OHS and my upper inner thigh is still numb...like the dentist numb... When do you get your nerves back full time? I feel it sometimes especially when my 2 year old steps on my thigh but that's about it.

Thanks-

Laura

Laura - Everyone is different. I'm now almost 17 months post-op, and my sense of touch/feel is pretty much back to normal but for a few anomalies. I have a couple of spots along my incision scar that seem to be "cross-connected" with nerves elsewhere. For example, there are those couple of spots on the incision line centered on my sternum, but if you touch those spots, I feel pressure near my left breast. I also have a larger numb spot between my left breast and the center of my chest - but I attribute that one to the fact that I also had a bypass, which used my left mammary artery to supply my heart. This, I was told, could lead to some permanent loss of feeling across my chest.

It feels a bit strange, but I've grown accustomed to it.

Laura,

Is it numb from a cath you had before the surgery? I'm not sure how you could have a numb thigh from OHS. My whole left thigh is numb, except on the back, from surgery 3 years ago, but that was to remove cancer in my lymph nodes near the groin.

Laura,

Is it numb from a cath you had before the surgery? I'm not sure how you could have a numb thigh from OHS. My whole left thigh is numb, except on the back, from surgery 3 years ago, but that was to remove cancer in my lymph nodes near the groin.

It is probably from the heart /lung machine conection, they often use the groin or clavical area for min invasive or other times like multiple REDOS. Laura, i think this is ne of those things that is really different for everyone, but FWIW quite a bit of Justin's thigh was numb after his 5th OHS, I'm not sure how long it took t completely get feeling back, but the numb area slowly got smaller and sometime around 6 months he realized he didnt have any numbness if that helps. Others always have a small area that stays numb around any of the incisions

Thanks for the insight Lyn. I know from my own experience that having incisions in the leg can disrupt nerves for a long time or permanently. I've had surgeons tell me it should go away in a few months.

How big is the numb spot Laura? If it's small (a few sq inches), I would think it would eventually go away. My numbness area can be measured in square feet!

I had AVR 9 months ago and still have a numb area on the inside of my left knee that started immediately after my surgery. There were no incisions in the area, so I assume it's related to some nerves in my chest. I also have a numb area on my right wrist that is probably more related to ulnar nerve irritation during surgery. Both areas are slowly getting better.

Parts of my left breast have been numb since surgery. At 5 months some feelin has returned, but not much. My said she has the same problem from a Csection. She's never gotten the feeling back. She said nerves can get cut and don't always heal quickly or at all.

Latest posts

Back