When did you start feeling ok?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My progress was stalled by pleural effusion, which left me short of breath, but I began to feel generally better at about the two-week mark when I was able to do for myself. I was pretty much good to go back to work at 7 weeks but took an extra week off because- again - the pleural effusion really took a toll on me (I had fluid drained from the pleural cavity twice during recovery).

I too was set back with pleural effusions that I didn't seem to notice at the time. I went back to work after about 5 weeks but would say I hit a much better trajectory around the 8 week mark. At nearly 13-14 weeks I have all but physically forgotten my surgery even happened and am left in awe as I am humbled by own body's ability to heal.

I felt as though my progress was so slow in the early days. With youth and fitness on my side, I had grossly underestimated the trauma of open heart surgery. I remember reading that you feel you will never get better and then one day you just wake up feeling good again and I can say this is kind of how it went for me.

Onwards and upwards!

Ya know the other day I thought to myself... I wish I had kept a journal or a blog or something since my surgery. I would love to have something like that to look back on. Going from memory it's all become kind of a blur. I think I started to feel a lot better at about maybe ten weeks. But little did I know I still had a long way to go to being fully recovered. At ten weeks I still got tired and still had aches and pains but I felt pretty good and a lot stronger than the days after surgery. By six months I was feeling great! But I kept improving! Week after week I was surprised at how much more alert and full of energy I was, I felt strong! This continued til almost one year. Amazing! It's changed me and how I look at the world.

Emotionally because most people are familiar with bypass and stents.But they look at you like you have two heads when you explain you had MVR and sometimes I just want to show the photos the doctor took during my surgery and they are like EWW.I just like talking about what happened to me

I'm learning people don't want to go THERE.They don't want to think of their demise.

But I'm really happy that i found this site,awesome group of people who understand.

Oh and the Heart Valve company sent me a ring that is like my mechanical valve,when I show people the ring they are like 😳

Oh and their reaction to me saying I can hear the ticking is priceless!

Trinalovescats;n869448 said:
Oh and the Heart Valve company sent me a ring that is like my mechanical valve,when I show people the ring they are like 😳

Oh and their reaction to me saying I can hear the ticking is priceless!

A ring, like one you can wear on your finger?

Latest posts

Back