What's your opinion on a second opinion? :-)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where are you going to go and get your second opinion from Ged? Are you going to go across to England?

Hi Bridgette.

No I will get a second opinion in Ireland. There are a few private hospitals I can try. I think the first step is to get a referral from my doctor.

I do in fact have records of results of my echos over the last 5 years or so. It was the latest echo last September which prompted the talk of surgery.

The result of that echo showed moderate regurgitation. However when I went in for my surgery 2 weeks ago (which I'm sure most of you know I didn't go through with) the surgeon said I had severe aortic leaking. I don't know where he got those facts from.

The only other test I had since the echo last September was a CT scan last January. The results of that scan showed I did not need a bypass and that there was no aneurysm in the aortic root.

I do in fact have records of results of my echos over the last 5 years or so. It was the latest echo last September which prompted the talk of surgery.

The result of that echo showed moderate regurgitation. However when I went in for my surgery 2 weeks ago (which I'm sure most of you know I didn't go through with) the surgeon said I had severe aortic leaking. I don't know where he got those facts from.

The only other test I had since the echo last September was a CT scan last January. The results of that scan showed I did not need a bypass and that there was no aneurysm in the aortic root.

I've never had a CT Scan of my heart, but wouldn't that also show the leakage and valve? Maybe that is where the Surgeon got his info from.

Go ahead, Gerard,

I believe in second and third opinion. Since age 19, I knew I would need surgery, and in 2005 my good cardiologist warned me that the surgery will be within 5-7 years; yet, despite all the symptoms I had, when my cardio told me I needed surgery, I saw two other cardios and interviewed three surgeons!

Good luck, keep us posted. So good to hear from you again:)

Gerard, not to be pushy, but have you scheduled it yet? Don't use this as an excuse to delay surgery! Instead, use the 2nd opinion as the possibility to really trust what the doctors are saying. Of course, if it is different, you'll have to get a 3rd so you know which one to believe. Don't just believe the one that you like!

I would try to get the result of both the echo and the CT so you can see exactly what they said.

Latest posts

Back