What's the cost of valve surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I understood the problems of health care in America better...All I know is that yes I spend a lot on health insurance, no way they are making any money off of me! People think that insurance companies make huge profits and maybe they do? But as far as we heart patients are concerned, I don't think any of us paid anything of significance for hospital stays and major difficult and expensive surgeries...I'm really surprised by the posts actually and keep expecting to get a bill in the mail but I know now, it's not coming...

I supposed the obvious problem is those people who don't have insurance...Sure a couple of thousand dollars might be upsetting or annoying but how about a $200,000 plus bill...That would be one huge motivation to get out of the hospital ASAP!

I wish I understood the problems of health care in America better...All I know is that yes I spend a lot on health insurance, no way they are making any money off of me! People think that insurance companies make huge profits and maybe they do? But as far as we heart patients are concerned, I don't think any of us paid anything of significance for hospital stays and major difficult and expensive surgeries...I'm really surprised by the posts actually and keep expecting to get a bill in the mail but I know now, it's not coming...

I supposed the obvious problem is those people who don't have insurance...Sure a couple of thousand dollars might be upsetting or annoying but how about a $200,000 plus bill...That would be one huge motivation to get out of the hospital ASAP!

Justin has had 5 OHS a few other surgeries and was in the hospital a total of 7 months( and probably close to a month of that total was in ICUs) he first 2 years alone. We never paid anything for his hospital stays. Regular appts always had copays of either 10 or 20 dollars, but even when he had surgery out of network we were able to get it approved as in network so didnt even have to pay then either (that really sounds MUCH easier and quicker than it was, but I did it before he was admitted knowing it could have been the difference between owing tens of thousands or nothing)
Of course that probably has alot to do with the fact, either his father or me always made sure we took jobs that at least 1 of us had with very good insurance, we had to turn down some great (fun) jobs because they didnt offer good insurance, but that was a choice we made.

So what happens in the US if a person doesn't have any medical insurance but they neither destitute nor wealthy and it becomes obvious that they need a heart valve replacement ?

Between my hospital stay at Stanford and 3 weeks of inpatient rehab at California Pacific Medical Center, my insurance company (and employer) paid more than 1.25 million. My stop loss (max out of pocket) was 2000.00.

Being in the hospitals for six months (combined with two ICCU unit stays for almost 5 weeks) and then daily RN home visits, cardiac rehab and then another hospital for an ICD. I was "between jobs" going in and our payout was nil. I still attend clinics at the renal failure , Heart function, implant clinic, and diabetic clinic and our bill stil is NIL.

I know so many people who CHOSE not to have health insurance...I know many can't afford it but there are also many who simply don't want to pay for it and they either won't go to the doctor unless emergency or don't pay the bills.

Funny all we really hear about is how bad health care is in the United States...I don't like paying so much either but when push comes to shove, it's nice to know I didn't have to pay a dime for a world class surgeon and team..Seems it's the same for most of us.

Last year I had a pulmonary valve replacement, tricuspid valve annulplasty and spent 6 days in the hospital. I also had cardiac MRI and other cardiac tests, multiple outpatient appointments, several daily meds, sleep study, dental appointments, and purchased new no line progressive bivocals. My sum total out of pocket for the year was a little over $4,500 including premiums. I think that was a bargain. Doctors have gone to school for a long time, and nurses, respiratory therapists etc have to be paid. Not to mention all the meds and equipment that was used. All that costs money and someone has to pay for it.

Debbie

Latest posts

Back