What to ask the anesthesiologist

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hriday

I will undergo aortic valve replacement surgery in a few days. I am scheduled for pre-admission testing, where I would meet the anesthesiologist. I wonder what questions to ask him/her! Any suggestions?

For me, it wasn't a question of what to ask but rather what to tell.

If you have had anesthesia before and had some issue, it is important to discuss that with anesthesiologist.
If you have particular fear or something that is nagging at you, tell him/her.

Good luck. Hope all goes smoothly for you.
Let us know how it goes.

I just remembered a story about my anesthesiologist for my second surgery. I had a meeting with him the day before and we discussed all the usual things. He sat back and looked at me and asked....... seeing you had surgery here four years ago, what is your worst memory from that experience? I wanted to hug that man. He made me feel like I was a person and not just another case. When I told him the memory that stuck out in my mind as the worst of the experience, he told me he would see to it that did not happen to me again. He kept his word. :) What an excellent doctor but what a nice person.

The only thing that I asked the anesthesiologist was what kind of lines he was going to put in me. He told me and then I laughed. I explained how difficult I was to put lines in. He then stated "so that is how I am going to start my morning". I also told him how sensitive I was to narcotics.

Debbie

I told him I had a very sensative gag reflex and he made a note to make sure I wasn't entirely awake when they pulled the breathing tube - must have worked as I have no memory of that at all. I also told him I had two units of autoglous blood drawn for use in the surgery and he made a note of that saying something like 'that is good to know...but I forgot the reasoning for that comment. In any case, if you set aside blood for your surgery, it may be helpful to mention that as well. I saw him again just before the wheeled me into the OR and he was great - giving me a warm smile and telling me that he would take care of the gag reflex thing and then told me that he would be able to put all the tubes in me after I was out. he then pulleed a sly trick on mt to knock me out that I won't share as I think it was a great trick, but all went great.

Best of luck on your surgery.

As JKM7 said, you need to tell him things about you. My anetheologist appreciated me telling him that (1) my lower front teeth are loose, (2) I am very sensitive to hypnotics and respond to tiny small doses, and (3) I lost a part of my sharp memory right after a previous surgery. He promised not to get near the front teeth and to watch how I would respond to the minimal amount of anesthesia.

He visited me the next morning to check how I was doing and if I had any recollection of the surgery.

Good luck :)

Reading other people's posts, one thing that always shocks me is how much people ask and know and think about. I met my surgeon for one initial consultation. I gave all my info to his nurse (who I talked to A LOT) and PA at my pre op appt. Then I went to the hospital on the appointed day. They must have slipped something in my IV when I was in their prep area because my next memory was waking up on the other side. I don't think I ever met my anesthesiologist. I'm not complaining...I LOVED my surgeon and his nurse and was perfectly happy not to have any other details to worry about. They took care of everything!

I asked him "Will I be able to play the violin after this?"

He said "Sure. Why not?"

I said, "That's wonderful! I never could play that thing before!"

{Steve runs and hides. . . }

epstns,

My husband pulled that same trick while he was still in the ICU after his heart double lung transplant. (First in the state of Alabama). The nurse clinician said with almost a tear in her eye "where just not sure what you are going to be able to do". When someone said that he could never play the flute, the nurse gave him the "if looks could kill look" and the surgeon who never laughs almost fell over in laughter.

Debbie

I let mine know the things I was most concerned about, and the team took great care to avoid them. They sent me off lala land while they were finishing the preparation. My wife said that I was talking to her during that time, but I don't remember it at all. Waking up in the ICU and the removal of the breathing tube are also vague memories for me, which is exactly what I wanted. My first clear memory was waking up for good sometime in the middle of the night and looking around the room. As soon as the ICU nurse saw I was awake, she tried to get me on my feet.

Latest posts

Back