What Surgeon said Friday

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CA Pigg

Sorry, I've been so quiet, not like me at all, LOL!!! I got a great report from surgeon.. They said my heart was not beating properly but the echo they did the previous Friday shows all is well. That it is functioning like it is supposed to now.. My scar is healing well and I can take a bath and put stuff on it now, gosh the bath was AWESOME!!!:D They released me to drive, was very nice being able to do that, it is a little sore when I turn the wheel, I just need to be careful. So for the scar, I believe I've read vitamin e oil and mederma???? The scar actually isn't that bad and I've read where everyone says the bump will take time, but where the chest tubes were looks like a giant vampire bit me, LOL!!! I actually went out to dinner last night, first time I've been out (except to doctors, lol) and first time I've worn jeans, i was tired last night but it was nice and ate like a pig:D
I hope everyone has a HAPPY EASTER!!!!!

Irregular Heart Beats in the form of PAC's (Premature Atrial Contractions), PVC's (Premature Ventricular Contractions), and A-Fib (Atrial Fibrilation) are not uncommon after OHS. They can come and go for several weeks so just report any 'funny feeling or sounding' heart beats to your Cardiologist. A stethoscope is useful for listening to and characterizing your type of arrhythmia. You can get one at any Pharmacy or Medical Supply Store from $10 to $100. The 'cheapies' are 'good enough'.

PAC's and PVC's can sound the same, often "regularly irregular" (you will know what I mean if you hear 'em:) and can 'feel / sound' like a "missed heartbeat" but actually is just a 'mis-timed' or 'out of sync' heartbeat. These are usually considered to be benign. You can tell by the Yawn on your Doctor's face when you describe them.

A-Fib can be either irregular or fast or both. It can cause clots to form if untreated. Treatment is with Coumadin so you are covered.

IF/when you develop arrhythmia's, your Cardiologist may want to put you on a 24 hour Holter Monitor to 'capture' their 'electrical signature' so that he can identify what type you are experiencing. There are several types of medications that can get them under control. This is something your Cardio can handle well, no need to involve your surgeon although you may want to 'keep him advised'.

Happy Easter !

'AL Capshaw'

Good for you Carole! I was told 8 weeks before I could put anything on my scar :(
My sister in law is a dermatologist and she gave me this silicone pad that you cut into strips to put onto the scar. She said to keep it on every day for 3 months.

Good for you Carole! I was told 8 weeks before I could put anything on my scar :(
My sister in law is a dermatologist and she gave me this silicone pad that you cut into strips to put onto the scar. She said to keep it on every day for 3 months.

I did that in 2007, but I'm not sure it made that much of a difference. I read somewhere that for it to work well, pressure has to be applied to it.

At the end of 2005 and beginning of 2006 I used the Vitamin E oil. I'm not sure about that either.

I will admit that with time, the scar has gotten lighter. It's only at the bottom where it is hypertropied.

So good to hear you're getting out and driving already! I remember my first time going out to eat... what a treat!
I started putting Vit E on my scar as soon as it was completely closed up. I supposed it's hit and miss whether it really works or not, but it won't work if we don't try! It's worked on other little incisions I have, so hopefully it will work on this too.
Keep up with healing!

Jen

Latest posts

Back