What on earth is a normal heartrate!?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dan,
I'm 1 yr and 8 mo. post OHS and have PVC's, which are considered benign, but can get fairly strong and annoying (and worrying even tho I know they are "OK"). Anyway, don't know if there are any parallels with actual irregular heart rhythm, but caffeine, chocolate, alcohol and stress trigger mine. So, just a suggestion to see is there are any dietary triggers. I would think caffeine would be a definite trigger. And I also know mine improve the more I try to forget about them..or at least don't take my pulse every 5 min.

Good luck,
Betsy

Dan - I've been wondering how you were going and sorry to see you've been having some issues. You were kicking butt so soon after your surgery!! But hey, that surgery kicks some pretty good butt of its own, so it's not surprising you're still finding your feet and adjusting to some new boundaries post-op.

I also had a slight obsession with my HR - only with the PVCs I'd been getting pre-op. Even post surgery I was checking my pulse all the time to see how things had changed (and yes, mine did increase quite a bit in the first few months). I guess in your case, the episode in Thailand was your catalyst and not without good reason! Sounds like a pretty scary episode - no wonder you've been so vigilant about keeping track! But given everything your poor heart has been through in the last 10 months, it's probably going to take some time to settle back down.

I guess I'll second what a few other people have said: Take it easy! It really does require baby steps after such a massive surgery... something I've also found out first hand; I was trying to do some strength training and ended up in a lot of pain from overdoing it with a whole 10 repetitions..!! My chiro told me even that was too much to start with (really..?!!!) and to take it s-l-o-w-e-r. It's just so hard to keep a lid on it when you feel so vibrant again..!

Anyway, in answer to your original question, 60-100 was what I always believed was a "normal" resting heart rate - so you're still in the ballpark, especially given your circumstances.

Perhaps once your mind is able to settle down, your HR will follow suit.

Hang in there!

A : )

Latest posts

Back