What kind of cold medicine do you use?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jax

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I feel like I may be coming down with a cold after having a couple bouts of the flu in the last month. Just wondering what kind of cold medicine everyone uses? Do anything of them cause changes in ones inr? My doctors office don't start giving out their flu shots until october so I have to wait a couple more weeks before I can get that. Also trying to figure out if I need to get the pneumonia shot. But I'm thinking better safe than sorry.

I go to the drugstore and ask for products with pseudoephedrine hydrochloride and guaifenesin. Pseudoephedrine HCL is only sold behind the counter now (you have to sign for it). It was the main ingredient of the original Sudafed.

It will likely raise your blood pressure a little, and may contibute to temporary palpitations in some people, so it's a judgement call on your part (or your doctor's). However, it can really clear the sinuses when you have pain. I find the replacements for it are entirely ineffective.

Guaifenesin (glyceryl guaiacolate) has been around for years as an expectorant, but was suddenly "discovered" again a couple of years ago. It helps with chest congestion and with that dry, unproductive, wheezy cough you sometimes get.

I find both compounds tend to work better from a liquid than a pill.

Best wishes,

I have to stay away from the pseud's and other decongestants because they make my heart race. I can take the cough suppressant/expectorants tho'.

I have to stay away from the pseud's and other decongestants because they make my heart race. I can take the cough suppressant/expectorants tho'.

Same here. They all give me palpitations. Heck, just about everything gives me palipations...8-/

There are many things that they tell you not to use. My opinion, use what works for you and forget that dang Coumadin NO NO sheet. I use Sudafed and Mucinex, which is what Tobagotwo is talking about. Yes it will increase your heart rate and BP some, so if your sensitive to that or have Afib issues, DO NOT USE SUDAFED.

My cardio said I can not have anything with sudafed in it. So, I ask the pharmacy what I can take. The cardio said ny-quil does not have sudafed and I asked the pharmacy and they verified it. Then I called the cardio office and the secretary, yes I said secretary, said I should not take Ny-Quil. I went back to the drug store and bought some allergy stuff that was an antihistimine. Worked fine. I will go to the PCP on the 30th and ask him. Good luck. I will be anxious to see what other people say.

My cardio said I can not have anything with sudafed in it. So, I ask the pharmacy what I can take. The cardio said ny-quil does not have sudafed and I asked the pharmacy and they verified it. Then I called the cardio office and the secretary, yes I said secretary, said I should not take Ny-Quil. I went back to the drug store and bought some allergy stuff that was an antihistimine. Worked fine. I will go to the PCP on the 30th and ask him. Good luck. I will be anxious to see what other people say.

Like I said (Don't do what I say, but know your body) take what works. If you listen to your Docs and Pharmacists, they're going to give you everything that doesn't. If you have HBP or Afib, you DO NOT want Sudafed, but if not, do what works.

"My doctors office don't start giving out their flu shots until october so I have to wait a couple more weeks before I can get that."

We got flu shots at the Safeway. Our dr wasn't going to have them until Oct either, and we're traveling soon. It was fast, painless, same price, and we didn't have sit in a waiting room with all those sick people.

Latest posts

Back