What is the one thing you couldn't live without during post-surgery recovery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanwow1

Thought we could start a discussion on this topic: What is the ONE thing you couldn't live without during your post-surgery recovery? Let's stick with inanimate objects since a supportive caretaker might be the most invaluable in the early stages.

I'm currently preparing myself for surgery and trying to plan ahead for recovery at home.

(Sorry if this is a repeat discussion)

My husband, my husband, my husband. There was nothing inanimate that I couldn't live without, but I needed someone to make me drinks, make me food, make my bed, take me to the doctor's, and put up with me ! Well, maybe my sofa would be that inanimate object ? I slept on it at night as I couldn't lie down in a bed for six weeks, I rested on it during the day when I needed rest, it was cozy and comfy and warm and I had everything around me I wanted as it was in the living room - oh and my mobile phone to phone my husband who was upstairs in bed during the night the few occasions I needed something badly and couldn't get myself - that was an invaluable tip I got from this forum !

Streaming video on a full sized TV screen. I use the Roku box and have a Netflix account. After that it would be the pain pills : )

I too used the phone to get the help I needed at night, the hospital issued wrap to hold myself together before I could wear a bra again ( that lasted several weeks for me), and oh button down shirts were a must for me!!!

There were so many things that made my life a bit easier after I came home. My cpap machine, my heart-bear, recliner, tablet, pre-made food... I think the one object that made the biggest difference was my recliner. I don't know what I would have done in the middle of the night the first week I was home. Sleeping in the bed - even with booster pillows - was only comfortable for a few hours. But sleeping in the recliner was also only comfortable for a few hours. I had an electric-lift recliner for the first week, and once I realized I could very easily stand and sit on my own, I took back my regular vintage lazy boy recliner.

My phone and my tablet were never more than an arm's reach away. My sister and I watched close to a dozen movies on Netflix. I would have had to eaten my sister's and husband's cooking if I didn't prepare several weeks worth of freezer meals.

Still, I'm gonna have to say the recliner.

Hands down, it was the recliner. Happily slept in that thing for months. I also enjoyed wandering around in our local, small-town grocery store in the days right after surgery. Got to see people I knew and exercised at the same time, while avoiding the heat and humidity!

PILLOWS... lots of pillows.
I had pillows in all different sizes and for both my OHS, aside from pain pills, they were the single most important thing for me to get comfortable. I had full sternal opening both surgeries and was able to sleep in my bed first night home each time because I could adjust the pillows to make me comfortable. I started with lots behind me and as I healed, I quickly used fewer and fewer.

For me it was a few things, Husbands support for 3 weeks straight, Meals prepared for 2 weeks by family and church family {they brought the food every night so it was nice to see other people and visit a little each day} Pillows at the hospital I took a small pillow to hold and then had several at the hospital to keep me cozy. I was there for 8 days and it was nice to have some comfort from home. Last but not least a comfy chair - My recliner - I am 11 weeks out and still sleeping in my chair. Its good to have at least one chair that is not too low, I noticed for the first 6 weeks or so {even some now} are hard to get out of.

Would renting a powerlift bed or recliner or relearn to use the big LB which is already here but somewhat hard to get out of ?. How about a walker..I'm sorta going to be on my own at home so I'm looking for aids.
..I should have started a separate thread sorry.

Last edited:
A lot depends upon your situation prior to surgery. At the time of my surgery, I was 63 years old and in pretty good shape. I was (am) 5'8" tall and weigh around 160 lbs - so it was easy for me to get around prior to surgery, and not too bad after. By the time I came home from the hospital, I was able to get into and out of cars, beds, chairs of all sorts, and was easily able to (carefully) walk stairs around the house. Our house is on 3 different floors, so stairs were a reality from day 1.

Where I had some concerns was things like stepping into and out of the bathtub when taking a shower, or standing in one place for a long time, like when I was shaving. I wasn't as strong as I had previously been, so I was a bit shaky.

So, if you can get around easily now, you probably won't have much trouble after. I slept in a recliner for a few weeks, but not because of cardiac issues. After surgery I had major digestive disruption from all the meds, so the only place I could comfortably sleep was in a power recliner, where I could change reclining positions with no effort other than pressing a switch.

All that said, don't forget after surgery ask your docs for something to keep your digestive system "moving." Many of us have experienced nasty constipation from the effects of all the meds. Mine was so bad that I had to be readmitted to the hospital to sort it out. Miralax was my friend, once things were almost back to normal.

Paleogirl;n850766 said:
My husband, my husband, my husband. There was nothing inanimate that I couldn't live without, but I needed someone to make me drinks, make me food, make my bed, take me to the doctor's, and put up with me ! Well, maybe my sofa would be that inanimate object ? I slept on it at night as I couldn't lie down in a bed for six weeks, I rested on it during the day when I needed rest, it was cozy and comfy and warm and I had everything around me I wanted as it was in the living room - oh and my mobile phone to phone my husband who was upstairs in bed during the night the few occasions I needed something badly and couldn't get myself - that was an invaluable tip I got from this forum !

This is a great question as l am single live alone and quite honestly getting very nervous about how this whole thing will play out. I see my Cardiologist on Jan 26th 2015 to start the "Work Up" for OHS val replacement. Weve have been talking about this for 20 mth and now ldont know what any of this means. 😕 How long general l wonder does it all take once they use the words "work up"

shanwow1;n850755 said:
Thought we could start a discussion on this topic: What is the ONE thing you couldn't live without during your post-surgery recovery? Let's stick with inanimate objects since a supportive caretaker might be the most invaluable in the early stages.

I'm currently preparing myself for surgery and trying to plan ahead for recovery at home.

(Sorry if this is a repeat discussion)

In addition to some mentioned above such as pillows, I needed someone to open my medication pill bottles and place the after-surgery socks on my legs!!

Eva;n851380 said:
In addition to some mentioned above such as pillows, I needed someone to open my medication pill bottles and place the after-surgery socks on my legs!!

YES! I remember I had to have someone open my pill bottles for me. I should have told the pharmacy to give me non-childproof bottles, as there are no children in my house.

Back