what info can you give on AVR & ascending aorta & root replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel

Thought I would be having AVR this Friday, but just found out tonight that I'll be having the ascending aorta and root as well. He said my aorta is dialated, forming an aneurysm in the first portion of the aorta. I'm having a heart catherization tomorrow to find out if I will need bypass surgery as well. I would like for you to comment if you had these things done all in the same operation, and how long was your surgery? Also, complications? Also, did it increase your recovery time? Have any of you had to have re-op? Thanks for your input!

Hi Angel!

I had my ascending root replaced as well! I'm just fine as you can see! You will be too :) My surgery was about 3 1/2 hours long, and I was on the bypass machine for 80 minutes.

I had that plus part of the transverse aorta as well. My surgeon said the exact amount of aorta that needed to be replaced could not be determined until the quality of the tissue was examined during surgery. I don't know exactly how long the surgery was, but it was all day. Possibly 8-9 hours total. I think doing the transverse arch added a lot of time to the operation. I honestly don't know, but I gather from talking with my surgeon that a lot of the time was spent preparing for the valve and aorta procedures and that the procedures themselves are done quickly.

I had almost no complications. Nothing major at all. I had no pain at all at any time, which may be rather unusual. No soreness. Nothing. I did have transient moderate renal impairment for a few days - that can happen with OHS when you are on the pump as long as I was, but that cleared up rapidly and did not affect me in the slightest. I had a lot of trouble sleeping for about a week, which is quite common. My heart rate was elevated into the mid 90s for a week or so and I required one unit of blood on post-op day 1. My ejection fraction was found to be somewhat depressed (39% down from 55% pre-op) by echo a few days post-op. I felt weak from anemia and the decreased ejection fraction, but I had no trouble walking briskly more and more each day in the hospital and did many more laps than required around the ward. I had some gastric paresis that gave me gas and bloating after eating, probably from anesthesia. That actually took about a month to completely clear up, but Reglan helped to relieve it during that time. I went home in 7 days. I got gradually stronger and stronger. I entered cardiac rehab after about 6 weeks which helped immensely to rebuild my strength. After 3 months of rehab I felt fully recovered and able to do whatever I want. Anyway, the surgery was remarkably benign as far as I'm concerned. In the scheme of things, all the problems I mention were minor inconveniences. The total lack of pain and discomfort was remarkable. I had no pumphead. Oh, part of my scar still itches. :)

This is not an unusual combination of AVR surgery parts. You will need to stay aware that other aneurysmal growth of the rest of the aorta is a possibility, so they would look at the rest of your aorta troughout your life. I had the heart catheterization before the "real" surgery. No blockages were found, the the physician doing the catheterization (for which I was awake, but sedated) said that my AV was "just like in a text book". The heart cath was no big deal. The heart surgery, however, was definitely like being run over by the proverbial truck. But, most of us on this site have been-ther-done-that and are living decades beyond what we would have lived without AVR surgery.

Hi Angel,
I had my aortic valve and root up to the arch replaced. The surgery was about 7 hours in all. The only complications I have had is an erratic heart beat which I have been told will probably eventually go. I think recovery is a very individual thing. I started feeling better after the third day and was discharged after 7 days. I did not have much pain after surgery except for the sternum (if I sneezed or sat up the wrong way). Try not to listen to much to people who are doing lots of things soon after surgery as this can push you harder than your own body wants to and make your recovery longer. I have now learnt to listen to what my body tells me. Going to cardiac rehab is good as you learn how to exercise at the right level. I used to train every day before surgery and it has taken a while to get used to not pushing myself too hard (I am now 4 and a half months post op). The surgery is now way near as bad as I thought it would be. Just trust the doctors and nurses and all will be fine, though I personally would not want to have another AVR surgery if possible.
All the best
Martin

Thanks everyone! Getting ready to leave for my heart cath! Have a great day!

Latest posts

Back