What have you done differently after heart surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How things have changed -

• Stopped sweatin' the small stuff
    Learned to appreciate the tick tock sound of a well made clock
    Got really good at explaining to people that "no, I didn't have a bypass.."
    No longer fear needles
    Am on a first-name basis with a large number of medical staff at a metro Seattle hospital :eek:
    Have given myself approximately 500 Lovenox shots for various procedures
    Since I'm on Coumadin now, I decided to take up shooting as a hobby
    Shooting was not dangerous enough, so now I reload my own ammo too
    Had to sell my high-power Ham radio gear when I got the pacemaker :mad::mad:

And the best thing I've done since my surgery: Survived

Great answers

Like several others, I have become even more committed to regular exercise and good nutrition as part of my life. Exercise is like brushing your teeth. If you don't brush your teeth they get all green and scummy. The same thing happens to your body if you don't exercise, but you just don't notice it as quickly as you do with tooth brushing. Exercise is not optional for seniors. Young folks can get away without exercising because they get so much exercise naturally, and their bodies are more forgiving. f you do not exercise as you get older your muscles atrophy, and you may never get it back. Exercise and good nutrition are like the fountain of youth.

Like several others, I have become even more committed to regular exercise and good nutrition as part of my life. Exercise is like brushing your teeth. If you don't brush your teeth they get all green and scummy. The same thing happens to your body if you don't exercise, but you just don't notice it as quickly as you do with tooth brushing. Exercise is not optional for seniors. Young folks can get away without exercising because they get so much exercise naturally, and their bodies are more forgiving. f you do not exercise as you get older your muscles atrophy, and you may never get it back. Exercise and good nutrition are like the fountain of youth.

That's why I am so excited about cardio rehab. I just can't wait for someone to help me with a program. My hospital was just incredible explaining it to me today....really excited.

lilteach,

I am 48 and I have been playing golf since I was 12. I was even an assistant golf professional at very nice country club with three 18 hole courses. They currently have a Champions Tour event there every year (used to be called the Senior Tour). I got out of the business and had 3 progressive jobs, each more challenging and with big jumps in salary. With each one I played less and less golf. The last job I had before my endocarditis and subsequent surgery I think I averaged about 2 rounds of golf a year. Now I am back working at a golf course (this one is a country club with two 18 hole courses) and I'm playing golf almost daily, weather permitting. First of all you don't have to be good at golf to enjoy the game. Secondly it's a game you can play all your life. And if enjoy taking walk though a beautiful park stopping occasionally to whack a little white ball with a stick then you'll enjoy golf. :D It can be very addicting though. They even came up with a name for wives whose husbands are addicted to golf. They call them golf widows. :D But I'm guessing there are some golf widowers out there too. The best scenario is if you and your spouse both enjoy the game...it's a great way to spend the day together. Go for it and let me know if I can help you with any advice once you start playing.

Bryan

We are actually going to move out of the Chicago area to Spirit Lake Iowa. We already found a house on the lake and going to move late spring/early summer, once I get back on my feet again. I can not wait to get out of the city life and get a boat and fish, play a lot more golf, ride our motorcycle more, show our mustang a little less and live a more relaxing life, no more 12 hour days at work and no more long commute by train.
We already know the church there, because our old pastor is there and we are going to help them in their church. I am studying to become a pastor and the process will move faster there in Iowa. God has called us there and we are SOOOOOO looking forward to getting out of Chicago!

I enjoyed exercising before surgery, but I like it even more now. And make more time for it. I got into coaching my kids sports teams, and just noticing all there is to notice in the small details. I've actually became a bit more "jump in and go" because I feel life is too short to have regrets. I'm riding my bicycle more, finally rebuilding my 1977 Honda CB400f that I blew the engine in in 1998. I'm going to art museums, speaking my mind more, and generally enjoying life and spending more time with my wife and kids.

In general, I'm much happier!

I am spending more time with my family and really listening to what they have to say and what they think. My husband and I are taking more of our vacation time and seeing areas around the state rather then just accumulating vacation hours. I am exercising a whole lot more than I used to and really liking it. I am watching what I eat and how much of it (that has resulted in a 15 pound loss) And the finally I am saving money to get me son to build me another stock car to race at our local track (one bitten by the race bug, you can't get rid of the feeling.) In summary I'm living life!!!

I used to be go,go,go, now it's slow, slow, slow!!! Oh, and I don't give a crap about the small stuff! I used to worry all the time, money, kids ect. No more! :)
I read more now, don't know why?
I walk more, try and eat right, I said try :)
And I Thank God for everyday!

Latest posts

Back